Rega brio R vs Rotel A11 tribute

gasolin

Lateste upgrade a Rotel A11 tribute.

In another amp matching thread somone metioned the Rega brio R might work better with the slight brightness of the B&Ws. (i remember someone saying the rega brio r is a little bright)

I have a pair of B&W 607 s1 and they sound good, going from a big class d amp and a nad preamp to a Rotel A11 Tribute give me a wider soundstage and more depth + a little better midrange but also a little more brightness and less bass,warmth , as soon as i play something with bass theres bass and playing something really good recorded theres not much brightness, could be paul simon's Still crazy after all these years.

Can't help thinking i need a little more bass and less brightness on some song and it's not just using the tone controls since i think theres often something wrong with a systemn if you need to use tone controls, eq unless it's because your getting old and can't hear the highs so good anymore

Rega brio R vs Rotel A11 tribute which one is better ?

Measurements and commets on the highs of the B&W 606 s1 https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

@gasolin do you listen with the grills in place?
And do you any isolation under them as you say there on the desk? And do you have any desk mats under them.? Acts like a carpet on the floor.

in general this is why I don’t understand the rotel pairing suggestions for BW. Rotel have alsways sounded like this.

gasolin

Isoacoustics 155 stands and no grills, nothing under my stands

It doesn't sound bad just some song that are a little thin and brighter than neutral or to the warm side of neutral, when playing loud the balance don't change much but can be a little to loud for nearfield listening on some song where the volume is at 70, with a better balance listening 2-3 meters from the speakers

What i notice when using the amp is (that is annoying) i have to use the remote control to turn the amp off (standby mode) so the amp is in standby mode not turned completly off by using the power button. I could imagine that standby mode makes a slightly difference to when the amp sounds best when it's on ?

Back to my initial question rotel a11 tribute vs rega brio r, Rega won over cambridge, would it still win over the rotel a11 tribute, is there anything better than a cambridge audio cxa60,rega brio r and rotel a11 tribute in the under €7000-800 range (rega brio as the rotel a11 tribute is also alot cheaper in uk than other places in europe, why ?)

https://www.whathifi.com/features/cambridge-cxa60-vs-rega-brio-which-better

Last edited:

matthewpiano

The B&W 606 and 607 both lean towards the brighter side, and even the larger 606 can sound slightly bass light at times - not so much as to be a major issue, but they don't have the slight warmth of the equivalent Dynaudios.

In my experience, the Rega Brio would ameliorate this to some extent but you're never going to change the fact that the B&Ws have a slightly bright sounding tweeter. I know I wouldn't want to use them for nearfield listening. You already have the Rotel, and it's a great amp, but I've never been a great fan of the Rotel/B&W combination. I think it's earned its notoriety due to the fact that until recently they had a distributor in common rather than because of any synergistic magic.

If you're going to change anything, perhaps you might consider some different speakers instead? Dynaudio Emit 10s would be worth considering, but so would Missions. I do wonder, however, whether you just need to give things more time. There is something in the fact that some recordings are always going to sound less palatable than others.

gasolin

Not dynaudio emit M10 (aren't they discontinued ?) , they sound bright to me and only when playing edm there is bass, i think i had them with a Marantz PM8005 (had the amp for i think it was 2 years), when i have to think about it they would only be a sidegrade.

I did move to from a nad (preamp) based system so i could have had a warmer,more full bodies sound although the class d amp i had was they weak link of those 2 (but it had alot of power) and didn't have the wider and deeper sound as the roatel a11 Tribute has.

I had thought about it, upgrading my speakers, that i would go for something with a ribbon tweeter, i once recommede these speakers to someone who loves them, based on the stereophile review https://www.stereophile.com/content/quad-s-2-loudspeaker

Last edited:

gasolin

I don't know about burn in time for my amp

The bass on my speakers are good as well as the midrange, highs sound normal detailed and i don't feel the amp changing the sound to much when playing loud, all is just louder and even the midrange don't scream when playing loud, i just need to get a little distance when playing loud for the balance to be very good.

I know if i want better highs i might look for speakers with a ribbon tweeter since not all music should sound soft and pleasant in the highs, most ribbon tweeters sound really good (you should be able to hear a difference between the good and bad recording and original songs with good dynamics and those effected by loudness war regardless of what tweeter quality speakers have)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts