Rega Brio-R the new one?

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I heard it when I bought my TT. So, that was the source, and it was the smaller Rega floorstanders that were the speakers. I thought it sounded great. The thing that grabbed me about the whole combo was the level of control and detail.

Of course, I didn't listen to anything else at the time, so didn't make a comparison. But it's certainly well worth listening to.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Sake said:
I will use it together with my Bluesound node 2 streamer and most probably dali zensor 7 speakers.

The Rega doesn't have any digital inputs, so you'll be relying on the analogue outs of your Bluesound, which may be OK. The Cambridge has digital inputs you could use and probably more convenient.

You might also consider the NAD C368 amplifier. This can be used with your Bluesound Node, or you could fit the BluOs streaming module inside the amp, and it will perform exactly like your existing streamer (same control app etc.) without the hassle of an extra box. Or you could trade up from the normal Bluesound Node to a Powernode with in-built amplification.

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
tino said:
Sake said:
I will use it together with my Bluesound node 2 streamer and most probably dali zensor 7 speakers.

The Rega doesn't have any digital inputs, so you'll be relying on the analogue outs of your Bluesound, which may be OK. The Cambridge has digital inputs you could use and probably more convenient.

You might also consider the NAD C368 amplifier. This can be used with your Bluesound Node, or you could fit the BluOs streaming module inside the amp, and it will perform exactly like your existing streamer (same control app etc.) without the hassle of an extra box. Or you could trade up from the normal Bluesound Node to a Powernode with in-built amplification.

If digital inputs is a must he probably wasnt considering the Rega. About the NAD I think for Zensor 7 the c338 is enough power wise and has built-in spotify connect/chromecast. Imo the c368+module is to expensive for what it does (meaning you can get better stuff that does the same for less) For the €/£500 module I could buy a Pioneer n50a which is a considerable better streamer.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
tino said:
Sake said:

The Rega doesn't have any digital inputs, so you'll be relying on the analogue outs of your Bluesound, which may be OK.

I am not disagrreing with you, not having heard these particular models, but why would you consider it better to buy an amp with a dac when the unit to be connected has a dac. Fair enough if more digital inputs are required, but it may be safe to assume that's paying for 2 dacs and using one, maybe paying for one dac improves performance somewhere else

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
To OP, I have heard of the bluesound node working very well with active speakers negating the need for an amp due the node being a preamp also. Have you considered that option (kef ls50w or AE1 actives as an example)

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
I am not disagrreing with you, not having heard these particular models, but why would you consider it better to buy an amp with a dac when the unit to be connected has a dac. Fair enough if more digital inputs are required, but it may be safe to assume that's paying for 2 dacs and using one, maybe paying for one dac improves performance somewhere else

Perhaps I am guilty of expressing my personal preference. I'm sure the DAC in the Bluesound is fine and as good as, if not better, than one built into an amp. But if it were my money, and I wasn't wedded to an analogue source or needing phono inputs, I would always consider an amplifier with one or more digital inputs for extra future flexibility. For example I might want to add a Chromecast using its optical output, a computer via USB, or feed the optical output of my TV to the amp.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
tino said:
muljao said:

Perhaps I am guilty of expressing my personal preference. I'm sure the DAC in the Bluesound is fine and as good as, if not better, than one built into an amp. But if it were my money, and I wasn't wedded to an analogue source or needing phono inputs, I would always consider an amplifier with one or more digital inputs for extra future flexibility. For example I might want to add a Chromecast using its optical output, a computer via USB, or feed the optical output of my TV to the amp.

I actually agree 100%, no way I'd buy any amp now without a digital input. I had considered a node one time and understood its built in dac was good. I thought from your post you thought different and was curious. thanks for clearing it up

insider9

I might be old fashioned but I wouldn't pay extra to have a DAC built into the amp. If it was there on the amp I'd like then fine. Otherwise I'd rather have a good amp and DAC separate.

I also considered Bluesound Node 2 and came very close to buying it. All my research indicates that to improve on it's DAC you'd need something of much higher quality than most inbuilt DACs.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
I might be old fashioned but I wouldn't pay extra to have a DAC built into the amp. If it was there on the amp I'd like then fine. Otherwise I'd rather have a good amp and DAC separate.

I also considered Bluesound Node 2 and came very close to buying it. All my research indicates that to improve on it's DAC you'd need something of much higher quality than most inbuilt DACs.

Sometimes less cables means better sound because of less giving out by ones real boss in the house

Sake

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
Have read a lot of userreviews and forum posts about the cxa 60 and it seems everyone likes it and are satisfied so i may opt for that. It's a keeper it seems. It is less useropinions about the new brio-r on the net and on specs it has less power than the cxa although some reviews found it to drive large and difficult to drive speakers very well. But thats somewhat relative i think.

Sake said:
Have read a lot of userreviews and forum posts about the cxa 60 and it seems everyone likes it and are satisfied so i may opt for that. It's a keeper it seems. It is less useropinions about the new brio-r on the net and on specs it has less power than the cxa although some reviews found it to drive large and difficult to drive speakers very well. But thats somewhat relative i think.
Do try to hear both if you can. The new Brio is more recent, so there will be less net gossip. And power differences unlikely to be significant in practice.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I believe that improving the sound by adding a stand alone DAC is more often than not, the most expensive option available. I own the Node 2 and I was able to loan a well respected DAC, costing almost as much as the Node. The sound was worse than what the Node alone is producing. That DAC (it will remain anonymous, I am just expressing my opinion here) did not do a thing even for my old Logitech Squeeze Box. In order to improve on the built in DAC of Node 2, you would probably have to spend twice the price of the Node 2. I am using the optical-in of Node to improve the sound of my Oppo.

Having in mind that it is still unclear what will be a winnig format for a next couple of years, unless you are planning to add a number of digital sources to your system, I would remove the DAC-no DAC as a citeria for choosing your next amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts