Rega Brio R, Dac, Marantz 6004, Rdac and MCR603

natstick

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Went for my first demo today having trawled the net reading reviews and this forum, as you do

Had arranged to listen to all of the above with RX1's, 685's, 684's and RX6's.

Thought i'd start with the Marantz micro, and work upwards!

Brought my laptop and memory stick with a few tracks in 128kbps mp3 and a few in flac.

The MCR603 and the RX1's sounded pretty good to me, but not the leap in quality I was looking for having been limited to an old Micro system.

Then it was suggested I try the 685's, and wow, so much more depth, and to my ears rythmn, a much more composed and easy listen, which made the RX1's seem very harsh to me. I really liked the full sound of the 685's.

Onto the Rdac and Marantz 6004 with the 684's, and the difference was slight, if at all, although I felt it was a little harsher/brighter and didn't like the sound as much. Didn't try any of the other speaker's with this combo as I was put off the Monitor Audio's having thought I may end up leaving with the RX6's before the demo.

Then the Rega pair. I really wanted to hear sound on another level and have a reason to splash out on the slightly quirky British kit, but it just wasn't there for me. I connected the memory stick to the Micro and my laptop to the Rega Dac (both containing identical tracks) and listened to one and then the other, switching the speakers frequently, and I really couldn't tell much difference at normal listening levels. Perhaps a bit more clarity from the Rega, but to me it was a very similar warm and full sound, really good.

We then tried the 684's with both and turned up the volume above my comfortably listening level and I could discern very little between them again, just the slight extra clarity from the Rega.

So either i'm a little deaf (possible) or the MCR603 is a blinding little hifi, even before all the other benifts or dlna streaming, cd player, dab etc.

I could appreciate the extra uumph of the 684's over the 685's, but still felt very impressed with the MCR603 and 685's that thats where my money will be going. Just gonna sleep on it first!

natstick

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
This just raises a new question which is:

Does anyone have an opinion or better still experience with whether this little micro sounds as good, better or worse than a £7 - 800 pound av amp in stereo?

thanks

natstick

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone have an opinion or better still experience with whether this little micro sounds as good, better or worse than a £7 - 800 pound av amp in stereo?

thanks

natstick

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

thanks

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Yeah not sure you will hear differences with DACs that easily with that type of demo. For me DACs have required longer term listening with kit I know well.

As a certain magazine explained in the group test using DACs from the rdac to the benchmark and to one costing over £1K.

"That this proved a very hard group to rank should be evident from the very close numerical scores we gave the various DACs. Frankly, they're all good equipment and the comparisons in sound are not vast."

I'm not trying to suggest they all sound the same as all companies have signature sounds but ranking quality is quite difficult amongst DACs.

An interesting report on your findings, and given the big following the 603 seems to have here I'm not at all surprised.

I've owned various Marantz items over the years, from their early CD63 CD player, to some amps and players in the 90s (still used by a relative). They usually perform beyond their price point and simply sound really good. Here on WHF they often have 5 star review and annual awards. (I've tipped them for this year!)

A number of regulars here use the 603 and judging by the almost weekly queries about matching speakers you will be in good company. Maybe if you were playing LPs the Rega might be worth another audition - but you aren't, and it isn't! And I'd have one over any AV amp under £1500, though I'm not an AV fan, so ignore me and I'll go away!

Keep us posted on what you decide.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
natstick said:
So either i'm a little deaf (possible) or the MCR603 is a blinding little hifi ...

I am still suprised at how good it is.

And I don't mean "good for the money" but good full-stop. If it had cost me £650 rather than £450, I would still consider it great value.

natstick

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thank you both for the replies.

I had done about as much homework as possible over the last few months, and prior to the demo, had really fancied the Rega combo and rx6's, with a view to later upgrading to the full surround system + av amp + new telly!

But my priority was for quality stereo sound first, and if I have to wait for the rest, then so be it.

You can read as many reviews as you like, but until you listen...

I did think I was looking for a warm, full bodied sound, and maybe thats easier/cheaper to reproduce than the full low to high reproduction of some of the more expensive kit.

Dannycanham, excuse my limited description, but I did notice that the Arcam/6004 was more trebbly/brighter/harsher and that surprised me a little, as I had been keeping my eye on said auction site for an Arcam amp, thinking they provide a "warmer" sound.

Maybe their amps do

And thats also why I wanted to hear the Marantz kit. I had asked if I could demo the 7004, but it wasn't available hence the new 6004, but from what i've read Marantz have a reputation for warmth.

Nopiano, I'm glad I have decided to sleep on it, because I now want to try the sr5006/6006 av amp's as I would like to have a home cinema setup one day, and if the quality of the Marantz "house sound" is present and on par with or better than the MCR603 in stereo, then I wont have to buy a seperate av amp in a years time and make my MCR603 redundant.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts