rega brio r and apollo for my cm1s ??

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys been looking at the above pairing as another.cost effctive pairing and read nothing but good things not only on here but all over the net would they match my cm1s as the amps only 50 watts any help from rega owners would be great thanks guys

A

Anonymous

I'm really happy with the CM-1s as a match for the Rega Brio-R. I don't have the Apollo (my sources are SBT/NAS and a TT) but did hear it in the demo room and was very impressed with the whole set-up.

I know we haven't always seen eye-to-eye, but we have a fair bit in common: We both like Arcam.

The link I put up on the other thread of yours for the Creek 5350 (ah, there it is) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Creek-Evolution-5350-Amplifier-NEW-/160928264634?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item25781271ba is worth at least calling the dealer.

I've had the Evo2 on home demo and is one of the best sub-£1000 integrateds I've heard, including the Kandy K2. Also it is the closest I've heard to the Arcam signature; it has subtlety, depth and lots of punch. I have described the Evo2 as Arcam on steroids, and the 5350 should mirror the Evo2 tonally. It packs 120 watts of power which should be adequate for any speaker. If you don't like it return it and buy a Rega, but these Creeks (brand new) don't come up at such discounts normally. The Evo2 retails at £750 so for the next model up the Creek ladder to be selling at less than £700 inc delivery, is the steal of the month IMO.

What have you got to lose?

Good luck

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
thanks pp will look into that now . i cant remember if youd heard th rega as i recall on another thread youd said something about it. ive also been offered an arcam a28 for 575 though ive heard mixed reviews about it so will look into the creek and keep the rega in mind thanks again pp

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
audioaddict said:
how would you describe the brio/apollo combo steve as im not into a bright presentation

Musical! it sounds so right! lovely detail I listen to it for hours and never get bored of it! It definately is NOT bright! Very Analogue sounding!

The DAC makes the Apollo r sound even better......it blows me away!

Just demo it to see for yourself!

stevebrock said:
audioaddict said:
how would you describe the brio/apollo combo steve as im not into a bright presentation

Musical! it sounds so right! lovely detail I listen to it for hours and never get bored of it! It definately is NOT bright! Very Analogue sounding!

The DAC makes the Apollo r sound even better......it blows me away!

Just demo it to see for yourself!

To be fair, Steve, not everyone will be as enthusistic about Rega. Likewise, not everyone shares my fervour for Leema, but that's the nature of the beast.

I'd like to hear a comparison between the Brio-R and the Creek I've linked. WHFI gave it 4 stars but others have given it the full monty. Could be interesting, although on paper the Creek should walk it...

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I have to say pp im very tempted by the creek im just gutted theres no phono stage which means maybe id have to get another one (just sold mine on the bay ) or get one fitted on the creek. Im also getting the feeling that rega are a bit like naim in that you either love em or hate em .

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Owned a Rega Brio 3 and it was extremely difficult at driving my Totem Rainmakers. The B&W CM-1s are less forgiving, so you need quite a powerful amp >75W.

audioaddict said:
I have to say pp im very tempted by the creek im just gutted theres no phono stage which means maybe id have to get another one (just sold mine on the bay ) or get one fitted on the creek. Im also getting the feeling that rega are a bit like naim in that you either love em or hate em .

Yes, you're right about Naim being a bit of a 'Marmite' brand. Personally I wouldn't say that of Rega, having heard numerous turntables and Apollo CDP, and however good the Brio-R is, the Creek I've shown you is over twice as much (normal retail price), and if the Brio-R even gets close you could knock me over with a wet kipper.

WHFI gave the Creek a 4 star verdict, as they did the Apollo-R. Certainly tonally and power-wise the Creek should really suit your tastes and speakers. If it doesn't you can send back and get a refund.

I don't think a phono stage will be a problem: you can pick-up a Nad for 'chip money' on the Bay.

Good luck.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Audioaddict, what do you think of your CM1 speakers? Have you compared them to anything else? Anything such as Kef LS50's? Or Royd Merlins? Or Epos ES14's?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
csq2 said:
Owned a Rega Brio 3 and it was extremely difficult at driving my Totem Rainmakers. The B&W CM-1s are less forgiving, so you need quite a powerful amp >75W.

Ideally, they'd probably like more power, but I've heard them sounding good on the end of lower end Marantz like the PM6003 and M-CR603.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I think i do fancy the creek pp as the power as you well know is similar to my previous mono audiolab monoblocs which suited my cm1s. its just the audiolabs were not a nice long term listen hence the sale.

ID i have to say i love my cm1s . when i gave the k2s kandys an audition i heard them with the ls50s and then on my cm1s and have say on that day i preferd the cm1s although i dont think the kefs were run in all that much. i also heard the kandys with ma rx6 and in terms of overall performance my cm1s stood up to them quite well, though again there were probably different cables plus different acoustics ie i went from hughes to sevenoaks but like i say my cm1s werent embarrassed.

audioaddict said:
I think i do fancy the creek pp as the power as you well know is similar to my previous mono audiolab monoblocs which suited my cm1s. its just the audiolabs were not a nice long term listen hence the sale

Bright or brittle certainly isn't a trait of Creek. They have a lovely organic/natural sound, similar to Arcam but with more punch.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that's really interesting. When I compared CM1's to LS50's I had an instant strong preference for the LS50's. I found the CM1's soporifically yawn inducingly boring. The LS50's had more life about them, making the Jethro Tull and Kylie Minogue test tracks more interesting to listen to.

Just goes to show, preference in speakers is a highly personal thing.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
lindsayt said:

As well as system, room and newness (of speakers) dependant. I reckon a lot of stuff gets over-looked due to poorly done demos.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
well i think ur both right but like i said the kefs were no where near.run in which would have made a hell of a difference as the ls50s were pure class but room acoustics different.equipment etc i bet a ton of people have over looked class.equipment... i get the feeling i did when i bought my previous audiolab system i didnt give the other systems much of a.chance on a longer term.demo

CnoEvil said:
lindsayt said:

As well as system, room and newness (of speakers) dependant. I reckon a lot of stuff gets over-looked due to poorly done demos.

A lot of stuff gets overlooked purely because a single dealer can't stock all brands (no cereal pun intended), and not everyone has the time or the enthusiasm to travel mile upon mile to dem a product they may not like. I've done this a few times over the years, but decided, wisely, the miles of tarmac isn't worth it. That's the main reason why I stick to brands I know and like(and are available locally).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
That's the main reason why I stick to brands I know and like(and are available locally).

the-local-shop.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts