Rega Apollo sounds like a turntable?

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I have now come across two reviews of the Rega Apollo, where the reviewers say that it sounds like a turntable.

Any Apollo owners/listeners care to comment on that? [;)]

Chokobolt:

I have now come across two reviews of the Rega Apollo, where the reviewers say that it sounds like a turntable.

Any Apollo owners/listeners care to comment on that?
emotion-5.gif

Some CDPs can sound, due to the nature of CD processing and bit rates, analytical - I would imagine the Apollo has a more organic edge to its presentation. Others I've actually heard such as Exposure 2010S, Arcam 73T & 192 fall into a very similar bracket.

T

the record spot

JohnDuncan:I'd sell it if it sounded like a turntable...

This from the man who gave away Nutrons a while back. *cough*

T

the record spot

plastic penguin:Chokobolt:

emotion-5.gif

Some CDPs can sound, due to the nature of CD processing and bit rates, analytical - I would imagine the Apollo has a more organic edge to its presentation. Others I've actually heard such as Exposure 2010S, Arcam 73T & 192 fall into a very similar bracket.

Add the SA7001-KI from Marantz on to that list then. Very neutral, non-harsh sounding CD player.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I'd sell it if it sounded like a turntable...I'd but it if it sounded exactly like a turntable
emotion-1.gif

The Rega Apollo and Saturn do tend to be the choice of those who are looking for a more analogue sounding CD player - some people just find CD too 'sharp'.

the record spot:plastic penguin:Chokobolt:

emotion-5.gif

Add the SA7001-KI from Marantz on to that list then. Very neutral, non-harsh sounding CD player.

Not heard the Marantz CDP, but oddly their are a number of rustic sounding CDPs, as long as you avoid Cyrus, Audiolab etc. (No, before anyone pulls me up on the comment, I do like Cyrus, Audiolab).... sighs with relief.

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:JohnDuncan:I'd sell it if it sounded like a turntable...I'd but it if it sounded exactly like a turntable
emotion-1.gif

The Rega Apollo and Saturn do tend to be the choice of those who are looking for a more analogue sounding CD player - some people just find CD too 'sharp'.

Too sharp? Like, too detailed (shouldn't be a con) and in your face like?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes. Some people feel that CD is too sharp, too harsh, or however the description goes for that individual. For me, CD tends to sound flat a lot of the time, lacking a three dimensional soundstage, which is one area where vinyl tends to walk all over CD.

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Yes. Some people feel that CD is too sharp, too harsh, or however the description goes for that individual. For me, CD tends to sound flat a lot of the time, lacking a three dimensional soundstage, which is one area where vinyl tends to walk all over CD.

So do you think I would get that with Apollo?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Personal preference - I would never say one is so much better than the other. I prefer to listen to vinyl as I find it far more three dimensional and natural sounding. A well produced CD will sound better than a substandard vinyl, just as a well produced vinyl will sound better than a sub standard CD.

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Fair enough
emotion-4.gif

I don't own any vinyls/LP's but my dad has a lot of 25-30 years old ones, with Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Pentangle, Grateful Dead etc.(He hasn't had a turntable in many years,so I am sure he would get very excited, if he was able to play his records again).

Do you think that will be reasonable to use them when I audition the turntable mentioned, or should I also try to get my fingers on a newly produced LP to throw in the mix?

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Hate to state the obvious here, but the science behind this (basically) is that an analog sound wave we hear is smooth and curved (sounds smooth!) and digital 1s and 0s attempt to trace this curve in an up/down and sideways fashion - the better the sampling rate, the less boxy this effective tracing of the sound wave becomes.

Thus, the better the CD player (and DAC), the more effective it is in creating this analog sound curve and sounding closer to a turntable.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Chokobolt:Do you think that will be reasonable to use them when I audition the turntable mentioned, or should I also try to get my fingers on a newly produced LP to throw in the mix?
By all means take along some 'new' vinyl, but playing older music, that of which you mention, does tend to sound better than the modern CD counterpart. Some remasters to CD have been done very well, but many just sound bright. I'll probaby be picking up a lot of 70's vinyl over the next year or so.

John Duncan

the record spot:JohnDuncan:I'd sell it if it sounded like a turntable...

Sold. I was skint. Ever been skint and sold something you later regretted?

T

the record spot

JohnDuncan:the record spot:JohnDuncan:I'd sell it if it sounded like a turntable...

Sold. I was skint. Ever been skint and sold something you later regretted?

Yes, but we don't talk about that little episode in public.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts