Rega Apollo + Rega Dac vs. Squeezebox + Rega Dac

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I understand these components do different things, but is the Rega apollo + rega dac going to be an upgrade over the squeezebox touch + Rega Dac? (Upgrade purely from a sound quality perspective).

If so, how much? :)

The files I'm feeding the squeezebox are ripped into flac using eac. The rest of the system would comprise of the Rega mira3 and the Rega rs5 speakers.

A

Anonymous

Grottyash:Borrow and listen.

That would be a day of my life wasted.

If the overarching consensus is that it won't make any difference, why bother?

A

Anonymous

Depends on the quality of your streaming music.

If it's lossless/FLAC then no difference in my opinion.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Not at all. You have to make these decisions yourself.

The overarching consensus when I compared DACs was that there were big differences. To me, there weren't, so I stayed with what I had.

HiFi is based purely on the subjective, so spend that day in learning.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
MoData:

a day? what are you planning on doing?
emotion-1.gif

surely it should take about 10 mins at the most to see if they sound different.

A

Anonymous

I see you've got the musical fidelity DAC. I guess you like it enough to drive the Nait5i? It's fairly cheap in the US at $300.

The SB touch's dac is pretty good too. The difference when you plug in the rega dac is fairly subtle, IMHO.

MoData:

Grottyash:Borrow and listen.

The point the other poster is: the only way you'll know is by comparing the two formats and decide for yourself. What we say on here may not chime with your personal taste...

A

Anonymous

I'm surprised I've not been chided to just let my current system burn in a little before trying to do a transport upgrade.
emotion-2.gif

Talking about synergy: Now that I have all Rega components, the system sounds a lot better than when I had the NaitXS amp in the mix. The whole system costs as much as the nait xs alone would have (less, when you consider the nac-a5 + Rca->din cables).

The harshness is gone. I can leave the system on for hours without it bothering me.

I'll look into naim source + naim amp somwhere down the road, but for now, I'm happy. :)

bemjammin

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
in my opinion it won't make any difference whatsoever. Scientifically I fail to understand how transport can make a difference.

nice setup by the way, i love my Rega Brio 3

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
MoData:

The harshness is gone. I can leave the system on for hours without it bothering me.

I'll look into naim source + naim amp somwhere down the road, but for now, I'm happy. :)

If you are happy, leave it.

Why naim source + amp? When you have said it makes your system harsh and you have synergy now. Leave it alone and enjoy the music.

A

Anonymous

The Naims do have something the regas don't.
emotion-1.gif

but, the lack of synergy with my living room killed it for me.

When I have more time to audition, I'll pick up a different set of speakers + naim stack for my living room, and move the rega setup minus the rs5 speakers to the bedroom with a pair of rs1 speakers.

TRENDING THREADS