Rega Apollo Laser Replacement

I've not had the Apollo all that long, 95% of the time it has worked perfectly. but a few days ago, it really spat the dummy out... it would not read discs, it read them wrong, it wouldn't play anything!

i cleaned the lens with a dry q-tip, and after several hours of trying it finally started to play everything again without fault.

i'm just wondering if this is a sign of things to come, and if its terminal.

if i do need a replacement laser assembly, does anyone have any idea where i can get one, or if there is a part number or anything i can use to find one?

any help/advice will be much apreciated.

i bought it 2nd hand, from someone on gumtree.. i know, its the risk you take when buying used gear, but for the money, it was worth the risk.

i only paid 180 quid for it, and like i say, its worked perfectly for the majority of that time.. i'm listening to it right now!

it seems to be a bit unreliable when starting up from cold, i.e turning it off at night, then turning it on the day after, but if i leave it on, it seems ok.

it still takes a good hour every time i put a cd on after leaving it overnight to sound its best, but i can live with that.

just wondered if there was somewhere i could get a new laser assembly from, to have fitted, before it dies on me.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Ask Rega direct. That'd be best imo

I never switched my Rega Apollo or Saturn off either so if you're happy doing that; keep it on :)

cheers, i'll drop them an email.. see what i can find out.

leaving it on is no issue, i use it every day, so its worth keeping it on..

i still find it strange that it needs a good hour before it sounds its best, even when left turned on all the time.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes contact Rega, you may have to order it through your nearest Rega dealer. Otherwise you may need to send to a repairer, there is one in Doncaster although they tend to do more Marantz/Arcam they maybe able to fix your Rega, costs about £70 for a new lazer. I would leave it on all the time, it won't use much electric.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
i'm currently working in/around the doncaster area.

whats the place there that could help?

Its Fidelity Audio.

I have just read that Rega control the parts for the cdp so you may have to send it to Rega for any repairs. Rega are pretty good with repairs and may not charge you.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
bigfish786 said:
i'm currently working in/around the doncaster area.

whats the place there that could help?

Its Fidelity Audio.

I have just read that Rega control the parts for the cdp so you may have to send it to Rega for any repairs. Rega are pretty good with repairs and may not charge you.

Yes they have excellent after sales service even if your are not the original owner - you will have to go through your local Rega dealer - you may get lucky they may do it FOC

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
it really is.. i've had arcam sources for going on ten years, before that it was technics and sony, this trully is a brilliant sounding cd player.

i get a buzz from listening to it every time i put it on.

watch out for the Rega haters then!

i've been listening to the rega for going on four hours this evening, and as every hour goes by, it sounds better.

i'm currently listening to "City Of Evil" by Avenged Sevenfold which sounds absolutely fantastic.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
i've been listening to the rega for going on four hours this evening, and as every hour goes by, it sounds better.

i'm currently listening to "City Of Evil" by Avenged Sevenfold which sounds absolutely fantastic.

Nice one, glad your enjoying it !

curiosity and boredom got the better of me today, so i thought i'd have a look at the insides of my Apollo, to see if i could see any names or numbers on the laser mechanism,

it's made by Sanyo. and quite distinct, so i think i've found the replacement part for it.

may all be for nothing though, as it has played perfectly ever since the day it naffed up.

(it's good to know i can get a replacement should i need it though)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have an Apollo, went wrong in a similar way to your description, intermittent, finally expired after about 18 months, sent it back to Rega via the dealer . . . back in about 10 days, no comment, no charge. Has worked better than ever, ever since.
CJSF

that was pretty good, was it under warranty? or extended guarantee?

from the labels inside mine it was built in march 2006, so i would be surprised if they would repair mine without charge.

its definitely worth getting repaired as its been the best piece or audio equipment i've ever bought.

for now, i'll just monitor it, and see if the problem re-occurs.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
that was pretty good, was it under warranty? or extended guarantee?

from the labels inside mine it was built in march 2006, so i would be surprised if they would repair mine without charge.

its definitely worth getting repaired as its been the best piece or audio equipment i've ever bought.

for now, i'll just monitor it, and see if the problem re-occurs.

The guarantee had run out, I simply asked my friendly dealer to send it back for assessment and repair estimate, it came back repaired with no comment or paperwork. Thats Rega . . . :cheers:

CJSF

MarkPMus

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
:) I stumbled upon this thread today as last night my Apollo had, I thought, given up the ghost forever. This is what happened. I put on a David Sylvian CD - Gone To Earth, as it happens. About a minute in the sound dropped out completely, then it started again. I took out the CD and put it back in again. A similar thing happened - this time the music skipped as well. Then it stopped completely. I took the disc out, and gave it a clean with a soft cloth and some Bib CD cleaner. Then I put it back and although the display said, "Initialising", it came up with "No Disc". I tried other CD's that I knew to be good, and all gave the same result. I contacted a friend who repairs these things. He suggested a cotton bud dipped in isopropyl alcohol (tape head cleaning fluid - yes I've got a cassette player too!) and liberally cleaning the lens in that. He suggested leaving it overnight to dry - so this I did. I came home from work tonight to see if it had worked - and FAIL! I was ready to reformat my old MacBook and use that as a music server plugged in where the Apollo (RIP!) would leave an aching gap. I've had it from new (2006), and now am not in a postion to buy another hifi CD player and it would be a push if I had to pay a repair fee.

In a last-ditch attempt I googled and came across this thread. Bluefish, the OP suggested patience with the cleaning, so, being encouraged that a similarly malfunctioning Apollo could be resuscitated, I gave the cotton bud another go. Whilst I was about it, I spotted a white cog and a grey patch chord a bit like the thing that connects a hard disk to a motherboard. For a laugh, I gave the cog a twizzle with my finger and gave the patch chord a firm prod where it connects to the lens assembly. The whole thing moved towards me, and gave me a bit of shock. I thought I'd really busted it. Fearing the worst, I put a CD in, powered on, and would you believe it, it sprang to life! It's now playing better than ever, probably because the lens has never been cleaned since new. I reckon the dodgy CD which glitched in the first place had for some reason caused the mechanism to stick and it had never returned to the position where it could read a CD. So it wasn't reading them. I hope the Apollo is back to normal - it's never mucked me about in the 8 years I have had it - and I need it to last a good few years yet! I doubt the MacBook could provide such enjoyment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts