Rega and Dynaudio

Ivek

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I would like to buy new amplifier for my Dynaudio DM 3/7. That would be Rega Brio-R or Elex-R. Are Dynaudio DM 3/7 and Rega mentioned amps good match?

Thanks.

matthewpiano

All I can say is that the Brio-R and the DM2/6s work beautifully together, but then I've also found the DM2/6s sound superb with my Exposure 1010 so both amps would be worth you trying with your DM series floorstanders.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
hi Ivek,

you did not mention what amp you are using now, your current amplifier and what is the price range you are looking at. I owned the 2/7s for a while, was using them with a cambridge audio 340a but they deserve better. They work great with the brio-r and many users on the forum recommend the setup. You can try something like nait 5 too.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I would say an excellent combination. The rega brio r is a little on the lean side in the low to mid midrange (or it has too much in the upper midrange) and the dyns act as the perfect partner to tame any brightness. The combination can sound rediculously sweet and gives the wow factor often, although I am finding the brio r sometimes just sounds too high in the mids. I am keen to hear the elex r. Also I know the extra power will create a more noticeable soundstage.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Those Dyns are not very sensitive 86db @ 4 Ohms, I think the Brio R may well struggle. If you need more power the Roksan Kandy K2 maybe worth a try as only about £650, also the Marantz 7005 I understand is also about that price now. I liked the Creek 50A but not sure its upto driving the Dyns. Yes I would try the Rega Elex-R.

Ivek

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much for answers. I am going to buy Rega RP3 turnable. Since I want to see Rega synergy at work I would like to buy Rega amplifier. Elex-R could be one. But I've never heard Rega amps and therefore I'd like to hear opinios. Unfortunatelly dealer has no Elex-R at the momment.

It seems to me that this Dyns are not particulary hard to drive. I've driven them with amps rated up to 40 wpc such as Cyrus One, Harman Kardon HK 1400. I've even tried Cyrus Streamline without problem. The bloke in the shop told that he drove this Dyns with Brio-R without any problem. He noticed distrorsion only at very high level. Since my listening room is not big, I listen it at low to moderate level.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Ivek said:
Thank you very much for answers. I am going to buy Rega RP3 turnable. Since I want to see Rega synergy at work I would like to buy Rega amplifier. Elex-R could be one. But I've never heard Rega amps and therefore I'd like to hear opinios. Unfortunatelly dealer has no Elex-R at the momment.

It seems to me that this Dyns are not particulary hard to drive. I've driven them with amps rated up to 40 wpc such as Cyrus One, Harman Kardon HK 1400. I've even tried Cyrus Streamline without problem. The bloke in the shop told that he drove this Dyns with Brio-R without any problem. He noticed distrorsion only at very high level. Since my listening room is not big, I listen it at low to moderate level.

I do agree. I don't believe the dyns are hard to drive. Their website states the excite range were designed to be easily driven, and they use very similar wording for the DM range, which makes me think they are very similar in this respect. I think the amp drives them just fine, but there could be a bit more grip at low end, and like I said, an increased soundstage to me could be quite nice. As I mentioned, for me its the higher midrange that just seems a bit too high pitched. I dont notice it all the time though, mostly when using my radio.

Ivek

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Finally, Rega RP3 has arrived. This is an excellent turnable. Since I would like to buy new amp as an upgrade of Cyrus 8, I have auditioned Rega RP3 -> Rega Brio-R -> Dynaudio DM3/7 combo and compared to Rega RP3 -> Rega Foni Mini A2D -> Cyrus 8 -> Dynaudio DM 3/7. Unfortunately dealer has no Elex-R at the momment.

I'm really suprised how Rega Brio-R sounds and outperforms Cyrus 8 in terms of sound quality. To my ears everything is clearer, soundstage wider and bass with more authority. The instruments are more separated. Midrange is as it should be. I really like the sound of Rega & Dynaudio combo. I've read lot of posts about rega Brio-R is warming when driving 4 ohm speakers with low sensitivity. But didn't notice such a behavior, although the mark on volume control knob was set between 11 and 1 o'clock.

I can't wait Elex-R to come.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
If you can afford the Elex-R, and you like the Rega amp house sound, then you should go for that one instead of the Brio-R. It just sounds much better in every way. Also, it is more powerful so it will drive your Dynaudio's with ease.

Ivek

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
It seems to me that Rega fono mini a2d is not up to task and therefore Rega Brio R outperformed my Cyrus 8. I couldn't compare this 2 amps with other source such a CD player, so I can't finally say which is better. At the momment I have no other phono preamp to test. In the meantime I put my old Cyrus One back in action and it sounds just fine. Cyrus 8 has more resolution, but sometimes is too steril and dull. On the other hand maybe One has lower resolution, but is more exciting, involving and vivid. But it needs servicing since I hear crakling noise during turning volume knob and input selector.

I have several options: keep Cyrus 8 and buy better phono preamp, keep Cyrus One, sell Cyrus 8 and buy one of the Rega amps.

Any suggestions? Keep Cyrus or move to Rega?

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Ivek,

The Marantz PM8005 is available for £650 and is superb VFM, IMHO. It drives my DM2/7s with ease and never sounds harsh or fatiguing, yet delivers a wide and detailed soundstage. I tried other amps, such as the Creek evo50 and they were not up to the job to my ears. No experience of REga and I sold my Cyrus 2/PSX in 1995 with no regrets.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts