Rega amps

A

Anonymous

My gut feeling on that one, Matthew, is that the Rega Brio won't have enough grunt to handle PMC speakers properly. First ones that come to mind are the DB1i and I think they want a good whack of power.

Just a thought, not an experience.

Why?
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

Agree with Igglebert MP, I'd suggest getting a good amplifier with a high current design. The speakers will reward you all the more. Yes, they'll tick over with 40 or 50 watts, but it's the additional power on tap that makes the difference. I noticed it right off when I had the 30w Sansui but replaced it with the 100w 717.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes, the Brio's too cheap for the PMC's, eh Igg?
emotion-2.gif

It'll drive them to a point (I'm assuming you're talking about the DB1i's) and it'll probably sound fine, if a little lacklustre, due to not having enough current to bring them to life. The speaker's lively nature may help them sound acceptable.

A

Anonymous

Nobody said anything about it being too cheap. Just probably not powerful enough to justify the outlay as a system.

matthewpiano

OK, so alternatives to the Rega then?

I suspect the PMCs would benefit from something gutsier than the A18. I thought the Brio would be, but thinking about it, this would probably not be the case.

Ideas that don't break the bank?

A

Anonymous

Which PMCs?

I think that the Quad909 would be worth a try with some DB1s. The Primare I30 also worked very well with the DB1i, GB1i and FB1i.

T

the record spot

Matt, didn't you just get the A18? Look at what you can get used - You'll get some good options under £500 and the dealers will almost certainly let you try at home given it's not new stock and you'd need a home demo anyway. Yet, I'm sure a bunch of SET amps delivering 8w per side will drive a pair of 102db sensitivity speakers, but reality bites at all of us - get some serious watts via a proper high current design.

matthewpiano

the record spot:Matt, didn't you just get the A18?

A few months ago. I've struggled to match it with many speakers successfully. In audition last week the PMCs got something out of it that nothing else has and I am hoping that the combination will prove successful, but I'm thinking of other ideas in case it doesn't!

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
after a recent demo which i had to determine if one cyrus 8 power in stereo or two in mono would improve my dynaudios my dealer set up the db1i's. it was the nearest speaker he had in sensitivity and suitability they had for a realistic demo. i could hear a subtle difference when the swap was made to 2 power amps in mono. the sound with one 8 power was impressive but with the added grunt i could disticntly hear an improvement in the bass, i think it controlled the output from the transmission line design they use just a little bit better leading me to believe the dinkys like a bit of ooomph. bearing in mind this was the baby of the range i'd be sceptical of pairing any pmc with an amp that might struggle to do them justice.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:the record spot:Matt, didn't you just get the A18? A few months ago. I've struggled to match it with many speakers successfully. In audition last week the PMCs got something out of it that nothing else has and I am hoping that the combination will prove successful, but I'm thinking of other ideas in case it doesn't!

completly agree about the rega brio, it will run the db1i's but you wont be getting anywhere near what you should be getting out of them, even the mira 3 struggled to deliver the amount of current the pmc's need.

by far the best audition i had with the pmc's was the naim xs, it deliveres the P.R.A.T that the rega gear just could'nt.

i have just integrated a rel sub into the equation and it sounds sublime.

next move = Rega dac.

A

Anonymous

Matthew, when I bought my Rega, I first heard it paired with PMC's. 'Gutsy' is definitely not a word that springs to mind when describing the sound. With my Elacs it's detailed, refined and to my ears a very good listen, but gutsy? nope.

Jack

matthewpiano

Thanks guys. I've put my mind at rest today by hearing the combination again and the Arcam drives the DB1i extremely well. In fact, as I originally thought, they sound better than any other speaker I've heard with the A18. I think the next step then would be to bi-amp with a P38 to get the next level of performance. I'm not sure where this idea comes from that the DB1i are difficult to drive. They are 8Ohms and 87dB sensitivity and, on listening, appear to be an easier load than the B&W 686s. I also notice that Hi-Fi Choice mag rates them as A+, their 'easiest' rating in terms of how difficult a speaker is to drive.

I've also gone back to Chameleon SilverPlus interconnect today and it does work much much better than the CrimsonPlus with the Arcam gear.

A

Anonymous

It's not that they're a difficult speaker to get moving but they need absolute control to keep the bass in check. This is probably something to do with how the design enhances the bass in a way that will make a tiny speaker more appealing. Compare their sound to the Spendor SA1 and you'll see why I think the bass wants a strict regime of discipline.

I should add, this isn't a big deal, just something that may become apparent as you hear other speakers. To be fair, the DB1i is a superb pair of speakers. I would have you down as more of a Spendor man though. A Cambridge Audio 840 (£599) and a pair of SA1s (£800) used, and I reckon you'll be smitten. Anyway, that's off topic.

matthewpiano:Thanks guys. I've put my mind at rest today by hearing the combination again and the Arcam drives the DB1i extremely well. In fact, as I originally thought, they sound better than any other speaker I've heard with the A18. I think the next step then would be to bi-amp with a P38 to get the next level of performance. I'm not sure where this idea comes from that the DB1i are difficult to drive. They are 8Ohms and 87dB sensitivity and, on listening, appear to be an easier load than the B&W 686s. I also notice that Hi-Fi Choice mag rates them as A+, their 'easiest' rating in terms of how difficult a speaker is to drive. I've also gone back to Chameleon SilverPlus interconnect today and it does work much much better than the CrimsonPlus with the Arcam gear.

Dopey suggestion - why not buy a power amp like a P85 for around £250-£300 mark? If that doesn't 'ring bells' then the Roksan Kandy LIII certainly should.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I found the Neat Petit SX to be a good step up from the aforementioned PMC's, especially for classical. Also, the Neat Motive 3, sounded better as well.

matthewpiano

plastic penguin:
matthewpiano:Thanks guys. I've put my mind at rest today by hearing the combination again and the Arcam drives the DB1i extremely well. In fact, as I originally thought, they sound better than any other speaker I've heard with the A18. I think the next step then would be to bi-amp with a P38 to get the next level of performance. I'm not sure where this idea comes from that the DB1i are difficult to drive. They are 8Ohms and 87dB sensitivity and, on listening, appear to be an easier load than the B&W 686s. I also notice that Hi-Fi Choice mag rates them as A+, their 'easiest' rating in terms of how difficult a speaker is to drive. I've also gone back to Chameleon SilverPlus interconnect today and it does work much much better than the CrimsonPlus with the Arcam gear.

Dopey suggestion - why not buy a power amp like a P85 for around £250-£300 mark? If that doesn't 'ring bells' then the Roksan Kandy LIII certainly should.

P85 is a good idea and will probably look to one in time.

As for the Roksan, I did think of some sort of Roksan amplifier but my dealer said both the LIII and the K2 would be a noticeable step backwards after the A18.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts