Rega 2 cable upgrade

Oldenbroke

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
I have an old style Rega Planar 2 (with s-shaped tonearm and detachable headshell).

I have had it checked over by a local hifi shop and a new Grado cartridge put on..so far so good.

However, the cable from turntable to amp which appears to screw into the underside is frayed and

presumably the original.

I need some advice - 1) is it sonically worth upgrading this cable 2) can it be done easily at home

and 3) where to get cable from?

Any help gratefully accepted.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Oldenbroke said:
I have an old style Rega Planar 2 (with s-shaped tonearm and detachable headshell).

I have had it checked over by a local hifi shop and a new Grado cartridge put on..so far so good.

However, the cable from turntable to amp which appears to screw into the underside is frayed and

presumably the original.

I need some advice - 1) is it sonically worth upgrading this cable 2) can it be done easily at home

and 3) where to get cable from?

Any help gratefully accepted.

Origin Live do internal wiring upgrades for Rega RB250 and 300 arms cost about £77, whether this is sonically viable I couldn't say. I would have thought it easily done on a RB300, not sure what arm you have.
Rega must also do replacement wiring.
Both companies must offer a in house service.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Oldenbroke said:

You have the old R200 arm made for Rega by Japanese company Acos. (Prior to the 'Rega Britain' RB300 and RB250 arms in 1983.)

It is worth asking your Rega dealer for two quotes... (1) for Rega to re-wire your arm (2) for Rega to fit an RB250 or RB251 arm to your existing deck. (It might be better and more cost effective to just get the new arm fitted.)

Don't forget to order a new belt :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts