Refrigerator noise

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I've recently purchased a new fridge and now i'm getting a clicking static noise through my hi-fi every time the fridge switches on and off. What can i do to rectify this problem? Do i need a mains conditioner or is there anything else i can do? Funny how it didn't do this with the old fridge! :?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The fridge should have condensers on the pump to stop any noise being transmitted onto the mains.

Contact the manufacturer of the fridge for advice, spikes from pumps, valves and motors can cause havoc with set top boxes etc.

A

Anonymous

One of these will sort it...
smiley-smile.gif

purepower2000.jpg

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
It may or may not be mains borne interference. It's also possible that the fridge thermostat generates a burst of RF (or radio wave in other words) energy that can be picked up and "overload" any transistors in the front end of an amplifier.

Is the interference dependent on volume level and/or input selection on the amp ? If so that could indicate RF. You need to isolate the amp such that you start with just the amp and speakers and NO other connections to the amp whatsoever.

If it's mains borne then a suppressor type plug on the fridge may be all that's needed... but tbh a new item shouldn't have such problems.

Problems like this can be tricky to diagnose...

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
chunky70 said:
I've recently purchased a new fridge and now i'm getting a clicking static noise through my hi-fi every time the fridge switches on and off. What can i do to rectify this problem? Do i need a mains conditioner or is there anything else i can do? Funny how it didn't do this with the old fridge! :?

As has been already mentioned, it could be airborne interference, cable or even both. Your machine should have the correct filters fitted. You could get a competent electrician to fix one of these across the contacts but watch your guarantee!

A Snubber package rated at least at 600V will probably cure the problem. Is the appliance earthed properly?

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Snubber.jpg

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
The noise is definately not RF as it's not volume dependant ie crackling can be heard at minimum vol. I'm getting confused this snubber get's fitted to the fridge, yes? I live in an 18th century cottage which probably has pretty old electrical wiring. This doesn't help no doubt.

Still, i've never had any problems in the past. Think i'll give the fridge manufacturer a phone.

freeluas

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
It could have something to do with the amplifier as well. Many years ago I had an Arcam Amplifier which did exactly the same thing when the fridge motor cut in and out. It had not happened with a previous Onkyo amp. Eventually I was fed up wit the Arcam for other reasons and replaced it with a Pioneer amplifier which surprisinglly did not seem to be affected by the motor cutting in and out. Obviously its the fridge doing the inteerfering but some amps can cope and some cant.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts