Reflections on upgrades from Denon AVR700 + Klipsch 280f -> Audiolab 6000A + Klipsch Forte IV

jy999

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hello!! Just sharing thoughts on my upgrade path from a cheap Denon 700 series AVR + Klipsch 280fs to an Audiolab 6000A + Klipsch Forte IVs. Some of you have seen my previous posts and questions on this, but I'm all done the upgrade now.

My upgrade path was the amp first, and later the speakers.

Moving from the Denon AVR (in direct stereo mode) to the Audiolab, with the Klipsch 280fs, was an amazing upgrade. I would say my sound quality increased 5 fold. In fact, it was so great that I would suggest Klipsch 280fs (or the current rp-8000f II) as an amazing solution one could get into for under $2k, if you watch for sales and prices. It sounded really good, with nice low end, and very clear mids/highs. I really like acoustic guitar, 3-piece jazz bands, and they really shined on this setup. I wouldn't consider going back to the cheap denon AVR to power it for a second.

Second, I just received delivery of the Klipsch Forte IVs. I would say this is a marked increase in quality, but the difference in comparing to the 280fs is more of refinement than the extreme difference I saw with the amp upgrade. The Fortes have better defined, lower, but less boomy bass (e.g., The Bad Plus - 1979 semi-finalist was boomy on the 280f but more articulated on the fortes), and a lot more clarity in vocals (e.g., Diana Krall - California Dreamin is more airy and defined). The Fortes also have better separation on drums and overall transparency, e.g., listening to Eric Clapton Live - Layla feels like they're in the room.

So in sum, its all a good upgrade. The <$1k CAD you can get a 6000A feels like a no-brainer in my situation. The $5k CAD I spent on the Fortes (thanks to Ron at Sound Seller) requires more cost-benefit tradeoff depending on your budget.

Off to listen to some more!

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts