Redray Players

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Perhaps I should be looking at getting one of these:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/19/redray-4k-projector-now-shipping-uhdtv-not-included/

T

theflyingwasp

It just annoys me that just say in a few years time a red ray player is released with 200g discs and film studios start releasing movies in 4k .ive went from vhs to dvd to blu ray now this im very happy with blu ray but with 4k films 4 times better im gonni rebuy the same films AGAIN!!!

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
It just annoys me that just say in a few years time a red ray player is released with 200g discs and film studios start releasing movies in 4k .ive went from vhs to dvd to blu ray now this im very happy with blu ray but with 4k films 4 times better im gonni rebuy the same films AGAIN!!!

My understanding is that the re-release on 4k is '4k remastered' discs so not native 4k whereas 1080p discs are the majority native as the resolution was there in the first place. That'll probably mean in theory 4k remastered should not be as good as native 4k therefore in theory not 4x better - and that's never going to be the case even with 1080p vs 4k. Wayne Rooney is reported £250k per week, I get paid zero - he is not 250,000 times better than me at football!!! It's all marketing hype - stick to 1080p as the discs and equipment are cheap.

T

theflyingwasp

Hi there mattjax05.i understand unless its filmed in 4k it will be remasterd like these new 12 sony titles that are optimized for 4k tvs but are just blu ray with a fancy name, but they will find some way to improve back cataloge titles ,im watching rambo on blu ray just now but in 2 years time am i gonni buy it again for the 5th time i can see the advert in my head just now

"Coming to red ray for the first time rambo first blood twice as sharp as blu ray with 11.1 master audio"

mattjax05 said:
theflyingwasp said:

My understanding is that the re-release on 4k is '4k remastered' discs so not native 4k whereas 1080p discs are the majority native as the resolution was there in the first place. That'll probably mean in theory 4k remastered should not be as good as native 4k therefore in theory not 4x better - and that's never going to be the case even with 1080p vs 4k. Wayne Rooney is reported £250k per week, I get paid zero - he is not 250,000 times better than me at football!!! It's all marketing hype - stick to 1080p as the discs and equipment are cheap.

250000 times zero is still zero. ;)

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
mattjax05 said:
theflyingwasp said:

250000 times zero is still zero. ;)

Good point, for this analogy to work let's say I get paid a nominal £1.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:

If you're happy with Bluray, stick with it. I'm sure many people are more than happy with Bluray, and it'll take quite some encouragement for them to adopt 4K. I am one of those that will definitely be going the 4K route, but this time round, I think things will be different. When Bluray came out, the difference over DVD was clear due to the likes of high compression, edge enhancement etc, but although 4K will look better than Bluray, Bluray will still look great, and as it doesn't suffer from the huge drawbacks that DVD did, it will still be far more watchable than DVD is now. Personally, I'll only replace Blurays with 4K material if they are movies I watch regularly, or will benefit hugely from the 4K format (landscape/cityscape shots etc).

T

theflyingwasp

I agree with everything you said there,I am very happy with blu ray,but even tho there is little or no content for 4k in the uk as Sonys media download will only be available in the U.S ,I still would have bought Sonys 84inch 4k tv ,more than a few people have said that once you see 4k in action you will find it hard to go back to Bog standard HD ,I tend to use the dark knight rises as an example it's one of my favourite film and the IMAX scenes are amazing on my plasma.now if in a few years time it's re-released on red ray or whatever the new format is called and it boasts being much better than the blu ray I will be first in line to buy it ,but when back catalogue titles start coming out on red ray twice as good as your current blu ray the cycle just starts again,it's ok for people who buy the odd film but I've always been a big collector of movies and i want the best edition of the movie available so i hope 4k is a long way off.

TRENDING THREADS