Record / CD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been thinking for a long (long) time about buying a decent turntable. My question though is for people who are into vinyl and CD. Do you:-

a) Buy the same releases for vinyl and cd

b) Buy main releases for CD and only buy music you think to be suited  to vinyl (or vice versa)

c) Buy main releases for CD and trawl charity shops/car boot sales/ cheap online for vinyl

d) Other (please explain)

The thing is, I know I will appreciate the vinyl sound, I'm just scared it will be a phase... 

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I have quite a few albums on CD and vinyl where the latter is the original pressing and I buy the later remastered CD. I usually prefer listening to an original recording, even though it may be flawed, as that was the artist's statement at the time and how it was meant to be, given the limitations of the recording process. A bit like saying an original painting is always better than a copy.

I tend to buy new and older releases on vinyl if available and CDs if they are not.

All of my classical LPs have been found in local charity shops and a few rock gems in mint condition have also been found, such as Carole King's Tapestry album, which didn't appear to have been played.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Octopo.

Firstly, don`t be scared about vinyl being just a phase. If you are a music lover then I expect you will want to keep a turntable forever, especially as you have said you`d like to buy a decent one.

This is how I buy my music nowadays -

a) Buy main releases on vinyl

b) Buy main releases on vinyl and cd if I see the cd cheap somewhere

c) Buy certain main releases on cd only if I`m not too fussed about owning that particular album on vinyl

d) Buy certain main releases on cd if it`s only available on cd

e) Buy none major releases and presents for other people on cd

My last five album purchases have all been on vinyl with just one of the five bought on vinyl and cd (Blackmore`s Night `Secret Voyage`)

A few years back I was buying more cd`s than vinyl simply because a lot of major releases weren`t available on vinyl. Infact it could be the case that some of them were available on vinyl but I didn`t realise. With some of my cds I do regret not searching harder at the time for the same release on vinyl, especially from the early 90`s when cds didn`t sound as good as they do now.

The latest album by Blackmore`s Night which I just mentioned is the first they have released on vinyl. Therefore in the past I haven`t really had much choice! I own every recording by one of my favourite bands called Mostly Autumn but unfortunately they are all on cd and are unavailable on vinyl. Had they have been I would have bought both formats if I`m honest because they are one of my favourite groups.

Sometimes an album will be released on cd several months before it is released on vinyl. It can be the case that initially you are uncertain wether it will be released on vinyl at all. You therefore have a decision to make, how badly do you want this album? Can you wait for the vinyl release? What if I wait and it never materialises?

It appears that more and more major releases are being released on vinyl as well as older albums being re-released. On top of that there are loads of places where you can buy second hand vinyl. Record Fairs, Ebay, Charity shops.

Buy a turntable, order some brand new 180gm albums which usually arrived sealed and in pristine condition. Carefully unwrap, turn lovingly in your hands and then place on your treasured new turntable. If you`re like me the phase will last a lifetime. Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Still prefer and buy vinyl. These days with a lot of releases you can get the best of both worlds. Some labels will either throw a cdr of the album or a download code for Ipod / MP3 listening. For example I just bought the vinyl version of Liam Finn's new album on Transgressive Records. Came with a cdr with six bonus tracks. Also bought the 5 x 10" 78rpm boxset of the new Kitty, Daisy and Lewis album which also came with a cd of the abum. Have bought vinyls from USA labels such as Secretly Canadian and Saddle Creek and they usually include a download code for a mp3 version of the album

A

Anonymous

Great advice!ÿÿ

ianmcg:

These days with a lot of releases you can get the best of both worlds.ÿ Some labels will either throw a cdr of the album or a download code for Ipod / MP3 listening.

This is interesting though, never heard of this before. Would this just be for smaller releases looking to get more publicity?

Survivor, great too, I think you may have single handedly persuaded me!ÿ

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
survivor:

A The latest album by Blackmore`s Night which I just mentioned is the first they have released on vinyl. Therefore in the past I haven`t really had much choice! I own every recording by one of my favourite bands called Mostly Autumn but unfortunately they are all on cd and are unavailable on vinyl. Had they have been I would have bought both formats if I`m honest because they are one of my favourite groups.

Can't agree more with your sentiments Survivor! regarding Mostly Autmn, I too am a big fan and agree it's a shame none of their titles are released on Vinyl.

Take the plunge Octopo, be decadent! Buy new releases on CD and 180 or 200 gram vinyl

Use cd for convenience and vinyl for serious listening sessions. Good luck!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Buying all new rock/pop/jazz music on Vinyl LP now, unless a title is not available. (buying from amazon UK and good ebay traders)

Buying classical on CD still.

Only have one or two accidental duplicates on both CD and LP so far. Not going waste money buying LP versions of everything I already have on CD.

Also buying from local second hand record shop because (a) they are very good and classify condition of LPs extremeely accurately, (b) have a great choice, (c) have a Keith Monks record cleaning machine so I can get every purchase professionally cleaned for a couple of quid, (d) they are only 5 minutes walk away.

No point in celebrating the recent increase in popularity of new vinyl (and arguing for the superiority of the format) unless I actually buy the stuff brand new wherever possible and do 'my bit' to keep LP production viable.

A

Anonymous

We maintain a turntable amp and speakers for playing the vinyl we bought years ago. Nowadays we buy CD and play it on the new system mostly.

I'm a £ for £ fan of CD but there is no question that there is something about vinyl. The ritual if nothing else!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I do C! Got myself Rick Astley - Whenever you need somebody for 50p today! What a bargin! Great condition too! I find the sound-quality of my Project Debut III better than my Arcam CD73T most of the time (partly due to CD masters being soooo bad) but the "end of arm distortion" can get quite bad sometimes.

A

Anonymous

Seems to be mainly releases on smaller or Independent labels. The only major label band I can think off at the moment was when Radiohead sold their last album as a deluxe vinyl / cd box set. When payment was confirmed they sent you an e-mail with a download link.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guy's. Has anyone got any recommendations for turntables, £4-500, max £600 for some real totty?

A

Anonymous

That's what I had in mind, and the Rega P3, but I've only got to know these through WHF. Are there no others in this price bracket?

John Duncan

There are Project alternatives if you don't like the RPM5.2 shape (and mine gets dusty, for what worth). The Rega obviously. The Firm Funk has a version around that mark I think. You could try for a Michell on eBay (tecnodec, maybe even a gyro) if you push to 600.

And there's always the Technics 1200 if you fancy dj facilities.

A

Anonymous

Thanks John. No I really like the RPM5.2 I just thought there may be some others I should take a look at. I'll have a look at those, thanks.ÿ

How much of a problem is the dust though, do you clean each time you play a record?ÿ

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Pike900fish:survivor:

A The latest album by Blackmore`s Night which I just mentioned is the first they have released on vinyl. Therefore in the past I haven`t really had much choice! I own every recording by one of my favourite bands called Mostly Autumn but unfortunately they are all on cd and are unavailable on vinyl. Had they have been I would have bought both formats if I`m honest because they are one of my favourite groups.

Can't agree more with your sentiments Survivor! regarding Mostly Autmn, I too am a big fan and agree it's a shame none of their titles are released on Vinyl.

Take the plunge Octopo, be decadent! Buy new releases on CD and 180 or 200 gram vinyl

Pike, you`ve got great taste in music! Bit gutted I won`t see them live in London until next year due to postponement of September gigs. Where do you see them live?

John Duncan

Octopo:
Thanks John. No I really like the RPM5.2 I just thought there may be some others I should take a look at. I'll have a look at those, thanks.ÿ

How much of a problem is the dust though, do you clean each time you play a record?ÿ

I just give it a regular sweep with a kind of retractable makeup brush actually - looks a bit like a shaving brush. The cork mat is not as bad as the felt mat, though I prefer the felt one just for looks. If you wanted to protect the platter you could leave an old record on it, or you can get proprietary blank vinyl disks.

You get some cool white cotton gloves with it though
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Aha,

I think the ladyfriend might get a little perturbed if I started polishing my hifi gear with her make up tools, luckily though I have a blower brush thingy from when I used to use negatives, looks like this:

image003.jpg

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
survivor:Pike900fish:survivor:

Pike, you`ve got great taste in music! Bit gutted I won`t see them live in London until next year due to postponement of September gigs. Where do you see them live?

Thank you and sorry taken so long to reply but lost the thread
emotion-10.gif

I saw them at the Gloucester Guilhall in April...i think it was there first or second gig. I've kept missing them over the years but made a concerted effort to see them this time around.

To be honest, I was a little dissappointed. They had lost their regular sound guy due to illness and the mix, particularly early into the set, wasn't great. Also the new drummer, Henry Bourne, was struggling to keep time with the older material. On "Heroes Never Die" he kept trying to end the song early and received scowles from both Bryan and Heather! Also I don't think Anne-Marie Helder is as good live on flute as Angela was
emotion-6.gif
and yes..I had to look up some of the names for correct spelling..I am that sad
emotion-3.gif

Still well worth seeing them though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts