Recommendations for decent value, non-bright CD players.

Goat

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Never had a proper CD player and getting a bit tired of playing CDs' through a (very noisy) Toshiba dvd player into Marantz NA7004 streamer. So I thought it was about time that I bought a dedicated CD player to play my approx. 200 CDs.

Priorities are: 1. Not bright or edgy (leaning more towards smooth than crisp). 2. Decent value, ideally under £500. 3. Plenty of detail, with decent timing.

My first thought was the Marantz CD6005, but I have read so many comments that Marantz CD players are bright. Does anyone have experience with this in relation to say other players of broadly the same value?

Thanks

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
to be honest, I don't think you'll find such thing as a "smooth" cd player. That's more of an amp/speaker thing. As for timing, that'll never change, no matter what cd player you use ;)

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
My experiences are a little dated, but last time I was buying CDP Marantz was just terrible, bright, unforgiving, awful sound made my ears bleed. The cheapest CDP I could listen to came from Arcam. I didn't want to spend that kind of money on a CDP, but it turned out, I just had to.

matthewpiano

Why not rip your 200 CDs as FLAC files instead using dbpoweramp or similar?

I was always against the idea, but since getting the Marantz system, I've ripped 200-ish of my 3,000 disc collection without it really upsetting my daily routine, and I'm really enjoying the easy access to all my music. They sound superb too.

Goat

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, probably makes sense! Will save money at least. I'm waiting for Arcam to release a streamer, but the Marantz will do for the time being...

On the subject of streaming, do you know if it's possible to play spotify through the NA7004? I have tried via laptop and got nowhere, tried with a phone connected to USB socket and it just says ''loading'' for enternity.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
If you did want a CD player though (and there's nothing wrong with that!) then I would suggest an ex-demo/second hand Arcam CD17, which will work well with your amplifier and be well within your budget.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I've not heard the CD6005 but my CD6004 isn't at all "bright". I hate equipment that "colours" the music and the Marantz is pretty neutral IMO. I mainly listen to classical so can't give a definitive opinion iwth regard to other types of music.

Chris

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I use a CD6005which was bought to replace an Arcam CD192, which despite having excellent sound and being highly regarded in reviews was the most unreliable piece of kit I've ever used. My expectations for the CD6005 were that it wouldn't be as good as the Arcam and it was a stop gap until I could afford better.

I've had the CD6005 for 2 months and it is to my ears every bit as good as the arcam sound wise and feels more solid and is far less picky about reading and playing discs than the Arcam.

My recommendation would be to go for the Marantz as it is truly excellent quality at a give away price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts