Home cinema recommendations for music listening too?

Dr Badger

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
I've just moved into a new flat in Reading and thought I'd treat myself to a brand new home cinema set-up, which I plan to piece together bit-by-bit.

I've purchased a Panasonic TH42-PZ85B plasma + have just got Sky HD too, and am VERY impressed with the 'Panny' (though the TV did need some tweaking and lowering/disabling of picture/set-up settings to reduce motion blur).

Next on the list... a low-end AV receiver such as the Onkyo TX-SR506 or maybe stretch to the SR606, plus a PS3 for games + Blu-ray movies.

My old separates system dating back to old Uni days (mid 90s) has finally given up the ghost (Marantz PM44SE amp. + CD63SE CD player).

The question is... any recommendations for a home cinema set-up which is also suited to playing CDs, please? - initial thoughts are to play CDs on the PS3 via the Onkyo 506, with my old Tannoy Mercury speakers (which I still plan to use as the front speakers 'til I can afford to replace them). Alternatively, any decent budget (sub-£250) CD player recommedations (in addition to my purchase of a PS3) suited for use with the Onkyo amp?

I won't be cranking up the volume too much due to the neighbours. Room size is 3.5m by 4.5m (quite small, and some would say too small for the 42inch screen re viewing distance, but I love it and am very happy! :)

Suggestions/comments welcome, please! (sorry to waffle on - I'm new to this forum, but have surfed it anonymously for months, and am very impressed by the responses from Clare and the other editors/writers, plus the many other readers who contribute!).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The lower priced Onkyos are not well regarded for music I'm afraid. I would check out the offerings from Marantz, Cambridge Audio and Arcam at that price range and see which you prefer. Since you're adding Blu-Ray, it's also worth looking at the new Sony STR-DG820 and then Denon AVR-1909 since these can handle hi-def audio from your Blu-Ray player. You may find you have to compromise either between the ideal music system or the ideal home movies system at that price depending on which is more important to you I'm afraid.
You could look for a decent home cinema amp with front stereo pre-outs allowing you to add a dedicated stereo amp and CD player later on. It will cost more in the long run but will also give the best of both worlds in the long run.

Dr Badger

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I've just done a quick search for info on the Sony STR-DG820 and it seems an interesting contender.

It seems that that official release date for the Sony is 30/7/08, so I'll wait a week or so and try to find somewhere to audition it and hopefully be able to compare with the makes you've mentioned.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts