Recommendation: Yamaha DSP-AX763 or Sony STR-2400ES

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Guys, looking for a bit of advice.....

Given I've made the jump to BluRay a few weeks back, I now need to look at the rest of my setup. Next in line is the receiver, so wanted to get some advice.

I currently have a Sony STR-DA1200ES (with a Monitor Audio Radius speaker package) which I bought last year to replace a Yamaha RX-V630RDS (with a Mission M70 speaker package).

I always felt that the spoken dialogue was at a lower volume level that the rest of the audio and was constantly turning up/turning down during a film. When I made the move to the Sony and the Radius package I was blown away by the quality and those days of fiddling with the volume was over.

I'd like some advice as to what to go for from the 2 listed in the title. The Sony is my preferred, but a tad more expensive. I'm concerned about going back to the Yamaha as I've been doing a bit of research and have seen a few posts with people with similiar problems on the new Yamaha DSP-AX763.

Both I see got 5* reviews, but which comes out on top? This new receiver will be used with the Monitor Audio Radius speaker package as well.

Sudo911.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi, can't comment on the STR-2400es but I've just got a DSP-AX763 which replaced my STR-DA1200es. I did this to get HD audio and the difference is amazing, so much clearer and the sub which on the 1200 I was never happy with, has suddenly come to life.

Go and have a listen to them if you can, but the Yamaha certainly gets my thumbs up.

As for the centre volume I have noticed this on a couple of films eg 3:10 to yuma, but it's not a prob, think it's the films and not the settings.

I paid £289 for the Yamaha and I think it was a bargain. I did consider the 863 but after speaking to Yamaha customer service it didn't warrant an extra £200.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andy H:Hi, can't comment on the STR-2400es but I've just got a DSP-AX763 which replaced my STR-DA1200es. I did this to get HD audio and the difference is amazing, so much clearer and the sub which on the 1200 I was never happy with, has suddenly come to life.

Go and have a listen to them if you can, but the Yamaha certainly gets my thumbs up.

As for the centre volume I have noticed this on a couple of films eg 3:10 to yuma, but it's not a prob, think it's the films and not the settings.

I paid £289 for the Yamaha and I think it was a bargain. I did consider the 863 but after speaking to Yamaha customer service it didn't warrant an extra £200.

I had the 1200 Sony and replaced it with the 3400es (which is supposed to be of similar spec - not sure if it's any better than the 2400es) and it's a huge leap in quality.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Yes I know what you mean, I just wonder if its just the 1200es. I must be honest this is what put me off a 2400es when I was doing my research.

As I said in my original post I thought about the 863, but because the only thing to be plugged in was a pana 55 Yamaha themselves recommended the 763 and not the 863. They said apart from connections they're almost identical.

A

Anonymous

A short while ago I had a similar dilema Yamaha 863 or the Sony 2400ES to replace my Sony 1200ES. I might be throwing the cat amongst the pigeons however after auditioning both at home with my speakers, TV, BD player etc I found the Sony to be better with movies and the Yammy better on music. I would even say that for movies the Sony was much better for me. I am aware that a lot of people rave about the Yamaha particularly with the price cut but I felt disappointed by its performance with movies. I did take the plunge and purchase the Sony and I am very happy with it and know I made the right decision.

TRENDING THREADS