Recommend Small Floorstanding loudspeakers

anderc02

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
I am looking replace my Castle Harlech's(£1200 in 2003) with a smallish pair of floorstanding speakers. My budget is £1500 - £2000 . They will be partnered with the Cyrus 8XPD qx and a Cyrus cd transport cd XT SE. It looked as though the Spendor A'5's might be ideal however they are not bi wireable.As My speaker cables are moulded I need to retain this feature.
Needless to say they must out perform the Harlech's and be amenable to having the left and right channels of an AV amp being sent through them as well.

your thoughts folks

A

Anonymous

Totem Arro. Not much better at the price, and should suit your electronics.

anderc02 said:
I am looking replace my Castle Harlech's(£1200 in 2003) with a smallish pair of floorstanding speakers. My budget is £1500 - £2000 . They will be partnered with the Cyrus 8XPD qx and a Cyrus cd transport cd XT SE. It looked as though the Spendor A'5's might be ideal however they are not bi wireable.As My speaker cables are moulded I need to retain this feature. Needless to say they must out perform the Harlech's and be amenable to having the left and right channels of an AV amp being sent through them as well. your thoughts folks

Hi anderc02

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system listen to?

The size of your room?

Ceiling height?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnsihed?

Listening distance?

Room positioning of the speakers (in relation to walls, room corners, will there be anything in between the speakers such as a sofa, cabinet, chimney breast etc.)?

Room walls? (concrete, brick etc.)?

Room floor (wooden, concrete, carpeted etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Your general listening level?

The make and model of your speaker cables?

Is your current system already part of an AV system? If so, what AV amp, centre/rear speakers and sub are you using?

Are there any specific dimensions you would like to keep the new speakers within?

What improvements are you looking for the new speakers to offer?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
anderc02 said:
I am looking replace my Castle Harlech's(£1200 in 2003) with a smallish pair of floorstanding speakers. My budget is £1500 - £2000 . They will be partnered with the Cyrus 8XPD qx and a Cyrus cd transport cd XT SE. It looked as though the Spendor A'5's might be ideal however they are not bi wireable.As My speaker cables are moulded I need to retain this feature. Needless to say they must out perform the Harlech's and be amenable to having the left and right channels of an AV amp being sent through them as well. your thoughts folks

Hi anderc02

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system listen to?

The size of your room?

Ceiling height?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnsihed?

Listening distance?

Room positioning of the speakers (in relation to walls, room corners, will there be anything in between the speakers such as a sofa, cabinet, chimney breast etc.)?

Room walls? (concrete, brick etc.)?

Room floor (wooden, concrete, carpeted etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Your general listening level?

The make and model of your speaker cables?

Is your current system already part of an AV system? If so, what AV amp, centre/rear speakers and sub are you using?

Are there any specific dimensions you would like to keep the new speakers within?

What improvements are you looking for the new speakers to offer?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Alright, we get it...you're keen for the business, know your stuff and ask all the pertinent questions....but couldn't you just make a simple recommendation just off the top of your head based on the info provided like everyone else has maybe ??!!

Hi Red Dragon

Just trying to get a clearer picture of the OP's circumstances/requirements before making a recommendation. I feel the questions i've asked are valid in realtion to the information provided by the OP so far. This is something which i should have also done here much earlier on and in this respect i fully agree with plastic penguin and thank him for it.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Keeping things the same size as Spendor A5's, you have the KEF XQ30's, Neat Motive 2se or Motive 1's, or PMC GB1i's. B&W CM8's are a little bigger, but not by much, so these should be an option to look at too.

TRENDING THREADS