Recommend me some stereo amps

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm on the look out for a stereo amp. My CD player (Marantz CD5001) is currently powered by a Cambridge Audio 540R v3 AV receiver. My speaker package is by Mordaunt Short, the fronts being 906i floorstanders.

I'm looking for a few recommendations to go and audition. I'd like to have a fixed/unity gain feature for surround sound mode, but it's not an absolute essential. My budget is up to £500.

I've seen that the Arcam A70 is currently available at a good price, but I'm not sure if there may be a problem setting it up with the 540R as the Arcam seems to be a little underpowered in comparison.

The other amp that is a possibility is the Cambridge Audio 740A - I've noticed that Richer Sounds offer a 30-day money back guarantee on this amp if you're not entirely satisfied with it.

Thanks,

Brian.

A

Anonymous

i dont think you will be able to get a stereo amp to work with your 540r receiver as it doesnt have pre outs

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matt444_2000"]

i dont think you will be able to get a stereo amp to work with your 540r receiver as it doesnt have pre outs

[/quote]

Just checked, it definitely has pre-outs.

A

Anonymous

oh yeah just checked myself. i think that makes it the cheapest av reciever with pre outs.

Does any one know how you set the levels for the front speakers if pre outing into stereo amplifier. Do you just have to find the correct position of the stereo amps volume control and then remember to set it there everytime you use watch surroun sound

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="matt444_2000"]
anyone know the answer to this
[/quote]

Yes - Use the speaker testing on the AV amp to get your front pair up to the right volume., and remember the setting.
(although with my setup (amp with digital readout) - I set it to the nearest round number and tweak the settings for the other speakers )

(Although if you have the A70 or similar, you can preset the AV gain, so only needing to set it once.)

A

Anonymous

sorry still a bit confused, what is preset av gain?

obviously im guessing you just set up your av amp just the once with the stereos amp set to about 10 o clock for example and then whenever listening to surround just set the stereo amp back to 10 o clock so you know its in keeping with rest of speakers as origally set up

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
That's about right, yes. With my stereo amp it has a fixed input so whenever I set it to AV (which is linked to my receiver), it automatially goes to a level that cannot be changed. The receiver then increases volume for all the speakers. Once I've chosen a fixed input level, I use the auto calibrator mike that comes with my receiver. It levels out all the speakers so they are on a level plane.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts