Recomendations for Vinyl

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

Ok I'm off for a scout around the charity shops and the local second hand record stores in Preston this afternoon. I'm after recommendations for good LP's worth adding to the collection.....open to anything other than Classical, Opera or Heavy / Thrash rock at the moment...especially Female vocals and guitar led music (such as Eric Clapton for instance).

Will look at anything from early 70's through to present day, hih quality SQ / recording preffered obviously.

So....let the recommendations flow :)

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
How about Duane Allman An Anthology ( You even get Eric Clapton helping him out on guitar on a track called , er , I think it's called Layla) and Joanna Newson Have One On Me . However , I'd be very surprised if you found either where you will be looking .

Nick

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Ok...so this afternoons foray into a bit of vinyl hunting resulted in purchasing the following all for under £3.00 per album

Gordon Lightfoot - Early Morning Rain

Valerie Carter - Just a Stones Throw Away

Elvis Costello - Spike

The Good Missionaries - Fire from Heaven

Tracy Chapman - Crossroads

Depeche Mode - Speak & Spell

The Jeff Healey Band - See the Light

Chris Rea - The Road To Hell

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
I must admit I've been a sucker in the past for anything and everything with an audiophile stamp on it - i.e. half speed masters, direct to disc, nimbus supercuts, mfsl releases (obviously but older ones tend to be overpriced in used record shops) and the like - even if it means trying a musical style completely off track.

How do the ones sound you managed to pick up? The feeling as well of getting something that sounds amazing for £1 or £3 in some cases..priceless!

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
audioaffair:

I must admit I've been a sucker in the past for anything and everything with an audiophile stamp on it - i.e. half speed masters, direct to disc, nimbus supercuts, mfsl releases (obviously but older ones tend to be overpriced in used record shops) and the like - even if it means trying a musical style completely off track.

How do the ones sound you managed to pick up? The feeling as well of getting something that sounds amazing for £1 or £3 in some cases..priceless!

I got all of these in the Oxfam Charity Shop in Preston........certainly the most extensive range of second hand vinyl I have seen in a charity shop so far........

In most cases for the ones I bought today, I opted for the artists I knew although I must say most of them produced before I was even out of nappies, a close look at the records themselves to ensure no major scratches.

In this instance it proved well worth it having got home and played the all this afternoon and this evening the quality of them was excellent no major crackles or pops even between the tracks.

The Chris Rea and Tracy Chapman LP's are of exceedingly good quality...although I think my favourate album from the lot is Valerie Carter and I will definately be searching out some of her other albums. These are al original productions rather than re-issues.

So all in all a very productive afternoon :)

TRENDING THREADS