Receiver upgrade

leob7888

May 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone!
I currently have a Marantz SR5013 connected to my monitor Audio silver 200 and REL subwoofer.
I use them as a 2.1 system for music.
I'm planning to change the receiver since I think that a stereo integrated amplifier is gonna make a big difference, isn't it?
My budget is 1300.
I've read great thing about the marantz pm8006, pm7000n and Cambridge Audio CXA81.
Which is better??
The only thing is that the marantz SR5013 has 100w/ch at 8ohms.
Are the 60-80 w/ch of these receiver enough for my silver 200?
Thanks!!!

Jimboo

I cannot help you my friend but " suggestions" will follow.
We had a request from a mod recently about queries from people stating their budget in their own currency and country (good idea)
The question above is valid and understandable but honestly impossible to answer as are so many does this go with this etc.
Can we have a guide or sticky , questionere type thang for people to cut and paste?
I was thinking (roughly)
Budget ,(currency & country)
Room size
Current set up
The importance of a demo
Room size etc
I mean , does blah go with blah and , here's a list of things what hifi are bleating about whaddya think? Are/,is just too random to expect a serious reply let alone the listeners ears.

leob7888

May 4, 2020
Visit site
I cannot help you my friend but " suggestions" will follow.
We had a request from a mod recently about queries from people stating their budget in their own currency and country (good idea)
The question above is valid and understandable but honestly impossible to answer as are so many does this go with this etc.
Can we have a guide or sticky , questionere type thang for people to cut and paste?
I was thinking (roughly)
Budget ,(currency & country)
Room size
Current set up
The importance of a demo
Room size etc
I mean , does blah go with blah and , here's a list of things what hifi are bleating about whaddya think? Are/,is just too random to expect a serious reply let alone the listeners ears.

Thanks Jimboo.
I understand what you are saying!
Regarding to the questions, here the answers:

Budget: 1300 USD
Room size: 30/40-m2
Current setup: Receiver: Maranzt SR5013, Monitor Audio Silver 200, Rel HT1003 (x2), Rega Planar 2

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone!
I currently have a Marantz SR5013 connected to my monitor Audio silver 200 and REL subwoofer.
I use them as a 2.1 system for music.
I'm planning to change the receiver since I think that a stereo integrated amplifier is gonna make a big difference, isn't it?
My budget is 1300.
I've read great thing about the marantz pm8006, pm7000n and Cambridge Audio CXA81.
Which is better??
The only thing is that the marantz SR5013 has 100w/ch at 8ohms.
Are the 60-80 w/ch of these receiver enough for my silver 200?
Thanks!!!
30/40m2 is quite a large room.
Are you able to demo some of your suggestions?
What do you think you are missing with your current set up?
Do you want more detail, bass, scale or what?

Only you can tell with a home demo if spending 1300USD is worth the improvement in sound - that's assuming there is some.
You really need to try out some of those amplifiers with your speakers in your room, as I don't think there are many that will give you a definite guarantee that it will be better.

leob7888

May 4, 2020
Visit site
30/40m2 is quite a large room.

Only you can tell with a home demo if spending 1300USD is worth the improvement in sound - that's assuming there is some.
You really need to try out some of those amplifiers with your speakers in your room, as I don't think there are many that will give you a definite guarantee that it will be better.

Thanks Jonathan!!

I answer to your questions bellow:
Maybe, I should ask for a demo.

I'm looking for a better sound image in general. I think that with the SR5013 I am not getting the best sound quality out of my system. Perhaps it is because it is an AV receiver designed especially for home theater and not for music. As I am using only 2 channels, I think a dedicated stereo receiver would bring out more overall sound quality.

leob7888

May 4, 2020
Visit site
Do any of the amps you mention have a dedicated subwoofer out socket?

Hi!!

Yes, the CXA81 and 7000n have dedicated subwoofer preout outputs.
The pm8006 has two preout outputs only, so I think I could connect my two subwoofer there using RCA subwoofer cables and then control the XOVER directly from the sub. Is this right?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Jonathan!!

I answer to your questions bellow:
Maybe, I should ask for a demo.

I'm looking for a better sound image in general. I think that with the SR5013 I am not getting the best sound quality out of my system. Perhaps it is because it is an AV receiver designed especially for home theater and not for music. As I am using only 2 channels, I think a dedicated stereo receiver would bring out more overall sound quality.
You should really ask for a demo.
Your receiver is by no means a poor amplifier and only you can tell whether any improvement is worth $1300.

I have home demoed speakers previously where I did not think that they gave me enough improvement over what I wanted or could afford at the time. And I also realized that by spending a bit more money when I had it, would give me what I wanted. The more you demo/listen, the more you understand what is available for the price.
And I've home demoed amps where each one gave a different sound stage and presentation, you have to listen to realize the differences.
Of course the other option is to look at 2nd hand amplifiers but that needs more research and patience, and is a bit of a risk but can pay dividends.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts