Received my new Proac Response D2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I would like to share with you my experience on the new proacs d2. These speakers are to replace my old and trusty b&w Dm602s. All I can say is that the proacs are in a different league.

Now I can understand what people mean when they say terms like, "seperation of instruments" or "soundstage". The first thing I noticed when popping my first Cd (jane Monheit, dont know the name of the album) was the midrange. It makes the B&W sound like the midrange is non-existant when compared to these proacs. Jane`s voice sounded so real .. as if she was singing for me in my own living room :) I could hear her breathing... Another thing I noticed was DETAIL.. , I noticed this, especially on well recorded cds, like "Jazz at the pawn shop 1&2". The detailed sound if the instruments is amazing and you hear each instrument seperatly. For example , even when the crowd is clapping , instead of hearing a whole mixed applause, you can hear different claps form different people.

The bass even if it`s a little soft when compared to the b&W ,is tight and bood. The bass may be soft because it has only an hour of play on it.. The b&w have been used for 10 years plus... Will try to move the proacs a little more close to back walls, and see if this helps,.... but i dont want to interfere with the divine midrange of the proacs.. For the Bass I have got a B&W sub, even though I like to hear my music without one.

The difference between the speakers was night and day. Even my wife noticed.. She told me how detailed instruments are and how real Diana Krall`s voice sounded. She is used to hear a lot of diana krall`s songs, even though she is not a HIFI fanatic. She even noticed new sounds on her favourite diana krall cds.

I know the proacs will improve if I give them more time, but I`m already happy with the purchase.

Thanks for all those who have helped me in this forum , especially david of FrankHarvey Hifi.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Lovely speakers, what finish are they? Id say your loving them over the B&W's. And there will be even more sonic delights to come when they have a few more hours on them.

The bass will become tighter and more precise so what your hearing now in the bass should be gone soon.

A

Anonymous

2nd the recommendation for really heavy stands , very important for proac speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I`m really in love with my new speakers.. even my wife is!

MattSPL:

Lovely speakers, what finish are they? Id say your loving them over the B&W's. And there will be even more sonic delights to come when they have a few more hours on them.

The bass will become tighter and more precise so what your hearing now in the bass should be gone soon.

They are in a black ash finish. They are placed in a minimalist envoirment and they look sexy with the gold thing in mid/bass driver.My previous b&w were in black ash too, but the proacs look nicer and more realistic as the grain of the wood is deeper, and with direct light on them they look nice. Will post some photos... but first I have to buy a new tv unit.

LordieLord, the speakers are ontop of a dynaudio stand 3, sand filled... They do their work well and the look nice at the same time. http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/systems/lines/accessories/stand3.php

A

Anonymous

A negative point on the proacs side.... the Amplifier needs to be a stronger one that that for a b&W602.. When I used to listen to the b&w the volume would be 50-60/100, now i have to increase the volume to 60-70/100, to get the same result in volume. I guess this has to do with the sensitivity of the speakers 88.5 Vs 91 on the b&w`s.

Am thinking of buying a bigger power amp, maybe another more powerful rotel or any other brand, but I should wait till the speakers are fully broken-in.

A

Anonymous

Nice looking speakers, what,s the bottom lip for at the front , is it cosmetic

A

Anonymous

johnnyjazz:Nice looking speakers, what,s the bottom lip for at the front , is it cosmetic

It`s a proacs tradition.. it looks nice in person.. much better than in photos, i will post some photos soon. With the grille on it`s almost flesh, no lip is visible if not from a side view.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
daspaceman:

Thanks guys. I`m really in love with my new speakers.. even my wife is!

MattSPL:

They are in a black ash finish. They are placed in a minimalist envoirment and they look sexy with the gold thing in mid/bass driver.My previous b&w were in black ash too, but the proacs look nicer and more realistic as the grain of the wood is deeper, and with direct light on them they look nice. Will post some photos... but first I have to buy a new tv unit.

LordieLord, the speakers are ontop of a dynaudio stand 3, sand filled... They do their work well and the look nice at the same time. http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/systems/lines/accessories/stand3.php

Yeah i love the gold phase plug(i think thats its name) in the centre of the bass driver
emotion-21.gif

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Iam on my 3rd set of Proac's and settled easily with the D28's and your right they just have it. ST at Proac somehow manages to voice these extremly well making them all rounders. I have a Parasound A21 pumping 250 into each and they never struggle. I cant see myself ever changing these. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, they keep improving with time... What 2 channel power amp do you recommand for the proacs?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Your Rotel will work fine, but if you want to experiment with other power amps, I've always felt they go extremely well with Sugden. You could also try Arcam, Bryston, ATC, Quad and Cyrus, which I've found all work well with them - it just depends on what aspect of the D2's presentation you'd like to tweak. They all sound different.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts