Reasonable hifi already but should I.... Roksan it?

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I've previously searched the forums but not come up with anything similar to my dilemma so here goes....

I've currently got a complete Technics separate hifi which I've had for over 10 years, includes an amp (SU-V620), CD (SL-PG490), Tuner (ST-GT350) and MD (SJ-MD150). For speakers I've got some Wharfedale Diamond 7.1 plus Wharfedale S500 all connected with Gale XL315 speaker cable. The reasons behind my choices were mainly for DJing. I need a system which can have a bit of bottom end and is an exciting listen... plus my love affair with Technics kit started with my first pair of SL1200 turntables!!

I've been thinking of upgrading my system after looking at the Sevenoaks sale on Marantz/Rotel/Roksan amp with B&W speakers in particular. So I arranged for the following audition at Sevenoaks Holborn:

Highly original.... 1. Marantz PM6002 / CD6002 / B&W 685 / Carnival SilverScreen speaker cable
More expensive... 2. Roksan Kandy K2 / B&W 685 / Carnival SilverScreen speaker cable

After only a few minutes, I was really disappointed with the Marantz amp / B&W 685 combo. I felt the sound was detailed but very bright and really lacked any bottom end. The dealer then brought out the Roksan to compare. The results were better but I was still not impressed.

Once the dealer had replaced the unimpressive 685s with some B&W CM1s, the Roksan really came to life. The overall sound was amazing, extremely detailed, punchy and really enjoyable to listen to. So here's the dilemma....

1. How good are the B&W CM1s? I've read here somewhere that they only got 4 stars but compared to the '5 star' 685 I'm not that worried as they sounded great to me and my taste in music.
2. Are there any other speakers that I should consider / demo with the Roskan? I can only have monitor / stand mount as I need to have them mounted on stands on top of my DJ stand.

Appreciate this is a long post but I just want to consider all the options before spending a lot of money (£1150 to be exact and that includes the Roksan K2 / B&W CM1s plus 4m of Carnival SilverScreen cable)

Thanks for any help you can be ; )

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
ianr23gp:Hi all,

I've previously searched the forums but not come up with anything similar to my dilemma so here goes....

I've currently got a complete Technics separate hifi which I've had for over 10 years, includes an amp (SU-V620), CD (SL-PG490), Tuner (ST-GT350) and MD (SJ-MD150). For speakers I've got some Wharfedale Diamond 7.1 plus Wharfedale S500 all connected with Gale XL315 speaker cable. The reasons behind my choices were mainly for DJing. I need a system which can have a bit of bottom end and is an exciting listen... plus my love affair with Technics kit started with my first pair of SL1200 turntables!!

I've been thinking of upgrading my system after looking at the Sevenoaks sale on Marantz/Rotel/Roksan amp with B&W speakers in particular. So I arranged for the following audition at Sevenoaks Holborn:

Highly original.... 1. Marantz PM6002 / CD6002 / B&W 685 / Carnival SilverScreen speaker cable
More expensive... 2. Roksan Kandy K2 / B&W 685 / Carnival SilverScreen speaker cable

After only a few minutes, I was really disappointed with the Marantz amp / B&W 685 combo. I felt the sound was detailed but very bright and really lacked any bottom end. The dealer then brought out the Roksan to compare. The results were better but I was still not impressed.

Once the dealer had replaced the unimpressive 685s with some B&W CM1s, the Roksan really came to life. The overall sound was amazing, extremely detailed, punchy and really enjoyable to listen to. So here's the dilemma....

1. How good are the B&W CM1s? I've read here somewhere that they only got 4 stars but compared to the '5 star' 685 I'm not that worried as they sounded great to me and my taste in music.
2. Are there any other speakers that I should consider / demo with the Roskan? I can only have monitor / stand mount as I need to have them mounted on stands on top of my DJ stand.

Appreciate this is a long post but I just want to consider all the options before spending a lot of money (£1150 to be exact and that includes the Roksan K2 / B&W CM1s plus 4m of Carnival SilverScreen cable)

Thanks for any help you can be ; )

You shouldn't dismiss a product because it got 4 stars... Many of my favorite products only got 4 stars, but all that matters is that I love the way they sound... I've spent a lot of time auditioning the CM1s and they are easily one of my favorite monitors in that price range...

Speaking of Technics; My first taste of separates was an all Technics setup... I had some great times with that system... It's a shame Technics stopped making them....

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
B&W tend to be well matched for DJing, tight bass etc. I would also be tempted to listen to a Musical Fidelity amp as they have a big sound. Don't worry about stars, it's completely down to the listener as to what suits an what you like. The stars are just a guide for your shortlist.

ÿ

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Just wich I had a technics amp just like that one.Only thing that's available and afordable are Pioneer's entry level amps,but with a lot less power.Shame companies don't make simple and good products like they used to.

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not going to discount a product because it 'only' has 4 stars, it's still a good product by definition.

I guess it's back to the demo room to give the Monitor Audio RS and Music Fidelity amp to see how they compare.

Obviously, any more suggestion welcome ; )

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
That's interesting and it's got me thinking. If the Technics 100W amp is good enough to drive better quality speakers with some upgraded speaker cable, perhaps that would be a better option.

Am... very... confused...

Sorry - meant to quote ear on that one (confusion reigns)

Look out for the older Kandy LIII (discounted). Match that with the CM1's should give you all the bass you can handle and some.

As regards better speakers connected to your technics, it works really well with some makes but slightly disappointing with other brands. So don't commit yourself with this option unless you have thoroughly tested it and approved.

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
I'll also ask if they have the older Kandy LIII to compare. I'm really impressed with the Roksan K2 / CM1 combo so far and there's a deal to be had... a can smell it!!!

T

the record spot

ianr23gp:That's interesting and it's got me thinking. If the Technics 100W amp is good enough to drive better quality speakers with some upgraded speaker cable, perhaps that would be a better option.

Am... very... confused...

Sorry - meant to quote ear on that one (confusion reigns)

Yup, don't discount older kit on the basis of "it's old". I just picked up a Technics SU-V6 (early 1980s model) which, after a few dyas running in - it hadn't been used for about three months prior to my receiving it - has turned into a bit of a star performer. Certainly if your V620 is ticking over nicely, it might be worth trying the new speakers and cable and taking it from there.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
ianr23gp:I'll also ask if they have the older Kandy LIII to compare. I'm really impressed with the Roksan K2 / CM1 combo so far and there's a deal to be had... a can smell it!!!

Good choice, the Roksan is a very capable product and so are B&W little bookshelfs, certainly more musical than the boom n'tizz 6 series. Watch out for a slightly loose bass on the K2, something that could become a problem in the wrong room/position, especially with the cm1's, which have plenty of bass (but limited dynamics) . This may be not obvious in a dem.

As an alternative consider AVI's ADM9.1 with a small, good sub, such as from BK Electronics. As close to a 'real live performance' as you get at or considerably above the price. A different class/sound altogether.

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:
As an alternative consider AVI's ADM9.1 with a small, good sub, such as from BK Electronics. As close to a 'real live performance' as you get at or considerably above the price. A different class/sound altogether.

Thanks for the suggestion drummerman. Correct me if I'm wrong but the AVI's ADM9.1 are 'active'... meaning the Technics vs Roksan dilemma is null and void!! I've not come across them before but I'll consider them for a potential demo. It's good to compare all the options at a similar price point to make a confident final purchase ; )

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
ianr23gp:

... Correct me if I'm wrong but the AVI's ADM9.1 are 'active'... meaning the Technics vs Roksan dilemma is null and void!! ...

Correct

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts