Rear speaker cable question?

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Currently have the B & W 686 with chord carnival silver screen which is not quite long enough (long story), hooked up to denon 2310. I have my fronts 684's Bi amped at the moment but in the future will be plugged into to a seperate power amp. This will mean more channels free in the denon. I have not come across any modes which suggest I can but would I be able to bi amp the rears once these channels are free. Is this only possible with another amp? I ask because when I order silversreen bi wire I need two lenghts of ten metres which is going to be about 250 pounds and want to know whether I should wait and purchase a 4 to 4 combination of bananna plugs when I have the channels or if it wont be possible just get the a 2 to 4 and bi wire it now. Hope this makes sense.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Do I understand you correctly? Spend £250 to bi amp a pair of £299 rear speakers? That would be up there with polishing your hifi with car wax.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
It's not so much about having unused channels of amplification so much as being able to assign those unused channels for bi-amp duties.

AFAIK, there aren't any receivers out there with the ability to bi-amp surround channels.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
hammill said:
Do I understand you correctly? Spend £250 to bi amp a pair of £299 rear speakers? That would be up there with polishing your hifi with car wax.
No matter how much the speakers cost I am still going to need 10 metres of speaker cable which wasn't ever going to be cheap. besides the speaker can always be upgraded.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Big Chris said:
It's not so much about having unused channels of amplification so much as being able to assign those unused channels for bi-amp duties.

AFAIK, there aren't any receivers out there with the ability to bi-amp surround channels.
Thanks. shant bother waiting then if wont be able to do it. Just bi wire then.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Relative price has already been raised. You could just buy thicker single wire generic cable and save yourself a fortune, whilst still having cable which will withstand upgrades.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Relative price has already been raised. You could just buy thicker single wire generic cable and save yourself a fortune, whilst still having cable which will withstand upgrades.
Thicker? i though the single run or carnival silverscreen was thick enough. After hearing the improvements biwire made to my centre I am inclined to do the same. besides I would like to keep all my cables matching.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The sheath is very thick on the chord but the wire itself isn't particularly. I say thicker because essentially that's all you're getting by biwiring. Anyway, just putting in a further word of caution re cost but hope you enjoy :)

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
The sheath is very thick on the chord but the wire itself isn't particularly. I say thicker because essentially that's all you're getting by biwiring. Anyway, just putting in a further word of caution re cost but hope you enjoy :)
Suggestions for cable?

A

Anonymous

I have bi amped front speakers and single centre in carnival silver and it is more of a feature of the system than just a cable the rears are wired in qed Which is under the carpet.

Cables are worth doing once especially if it means pulling the house about.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts