Readynas connection/backup issues

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:

Awaiting transfer from another thread

Ok -so no transfer from the other thread

Issue is the readynas not accepting the source path for backup/ fails test connection and also will not take the upgrade

Ok so editing doesn't bring it back to the fore- where were we Scene.

scene

Sorry about the delay replying, was out last night. Head is still hurting, so bear with me...

Ok, as I was saying, you need to check that the drive is mapped properly. If you start, run cmd, this will bring up a DOS session. From here type in "net use" (no quotes) and press enter/return. This should list all your mapped drives. The readyNas ones should show up as b: and m: and say OK to the left of them. If it doesn't, e.g. It says "disconnected" then windows can't find the NAS.

Make sure that your local network is marked as "Trusted" on your PC/laptop's firewall software - how you do this depends on the software you use. If it's not, you have to do some awkward config changes.

Move your backup drive mapping from B to a drive letter higher than any local drive on your pc/laptop. Two reasons, the B drive used to be reserved for the second floppy drive, and this can cause problems at times. Secondly, a drive letter before the last local drive can be misinterpreted as a local drive, also causing problems.

Let me know how you get on.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for kick starting it again. A sheep with a hangover -nice.

Well I updated the NAS at the 15th attempt but no change. I am still struggling with the trusted certificate issue but I have now managed to block the Frontview on the NAS thru Kaspersky so I am going to reinstall Kaspy from scratch. As for the net use run command -yes that's all fine and I can copy to these drives no problem through copy/paste or drag and am not having any issues with the B mapping.(although being on Win 7 ,the run command is not automatically there from Start so I had to go put it in manually) Local network is trusted on wifi and card but time for a break- I am going for a drive to calm down.(well- pick son up from football .)

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Can you link to previous thread / summarise issues? Just finished setting up my ReadyNas and all working fine (took over a week in total). However, i may not have the same requirements as you so may not be able to add anything.

Would be interested all the same, especially if there's more "functionality" i hadn't even thought of trying to use. (Reason for purchase was to feed squeezeboxes throughout house and maintain one single itunes library on multiple computers).

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Posted somewhere a while back, following may be useful for quick shutdown of your ReadyNAS - You need to dowload CURL (Google search ) and code the following into a bat file stored in the curl directory , substitute your NAS Userid/PW and IP address and creaste new desktop icon pointing to bat file.

curl -u Userid:password -k -d command=poweroff -d shutdown_option=1 -d OPERATION=set -d PAGE=System -d OUTER_TAB=tab_shutdown -d INNER_TAB=none https://192.168.1.140/get_handler

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Headbanging time. Got so fed up I restored back to yesterday evening.So now open up Explorer( Win 7) and under computer I have the mapped drives and can see the files on the Nas.. Under Network ,I cannot see any other comps on the network heading.

Only success is getting the NAS away from the Certification problem and that was long winded enough including creating a new SSL key.

Match of the Day time. -and glass of wine.

A

Anonymous

It sounds like u dont have Network Discovery turned on, if u cant see anything else under network.

Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Advanced sharing settings -> Turn on Network Discovery.

Save changes.

What are u doing that needs a trusted certificate on a NAS? Are u trying to access a share using https for some reason? Using it as a webserver for access over the internet perhaps?

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
TechMad:

It sounds like u dont have Network Discovery turned on, if u cant see anything else under network.

Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Advanced sharing settings -> Turn on Network Discovery.

Save changes.

What are u doing that needs a trusted certificate on a NAS? Are u trying to access a share using https for some reason? Using it as a webserver for access over the internet perhaps?

Network discovery is on- I have been though so many options it was doing my head in-eventually just as City were whooping West Brom (why were they virtually last on again) I hunted through workgroups and Windows 7 is different again. So computer/properties/workgroup section /change settings - Workgroup name -default = "workgroup" . Hang on ,vista and XP is default "MSHome" so I change the name to MSHome and bingo all part of the same network now.

HTTPS was indeed the culprit and it was by default ticked and greyed out. Creating the self certificate proved to be the way round it.

Now just the backup path to sort out.

scene

Glad to hear you've got it sorted. Sorry if I've not been too helpful this weekend, not had a chance to really look at it
emotion-10.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts