Re: Which 55inch 3D T.V.

GregM68

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
In a Quandry. I only use this particular T.V. for watching Blue rays, DVD's and very occasionally, terrestial T.V. (Very rarely). I am moving my 50 inch KURO into another room and want to replace with a 55 inch 3D T.V. and have earmarked either the Panasonic TX-P55VT50B or the Sony KDL-55HX853. Both get exceptionally good write up's and cannot make my mind up. Sound is not an issue as it will be through my system.

Suggestions guy's???

Haleem123

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Defo the panasonic, the VT is top of the range and will blow many rivals socks off in terms of detail and performance terms, my cousin has the sony panel you are looking at, i have a panasonic g30 (last years model) and my set blows the sony away

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gregm68

Although the pany has had good feedback, as has the Sony you will need to audition both for your self even if you have to travel reviews and peoples comments are a great guide for further info but that is all it is, some ones opinion of one set can be very different to some elses, I for one liked the pany and was set on buying But I waited for the sony and can say that I was very impressed. I will soon go and audition in much more depth and will take some well known discs to show off each screen.

So there you have it go check them out, and remember both sets carry certain problems as stated by owners and reviews as do all sets, but do not buy purley on some ones say so, its alot of money to spend blind :clap

good luck and let us know how you get on....

GregM68

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Haleem123,

My heart sort of leans towards the Pani as I do like my old Kuro (3 years old) which is still pretty good but want a 3d set. I have always stuck with Plasma for watching movies but again intrigued by the Sony which again get's rave reviews. I have some Sony 37 inch Led's which are very good for general viewing but just cant quite cut it with Blue Rays but very good nonetheless.

Thanks very much for replying and will let you know what I go for. Plan to 'test drive' this weekend.

Thanks again.

GregM68

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Pioneer7,

what you say makes perfect sense and I really should 'test drive' them. I prefer Plasma's for watching Bluerays but genuinely intrigued by this new Sony. I see that the 55 inch & 46 inch Sony's have just been tested and again both seem to be genuine contenders for the Pani's crown.......but.....we'll see. The room where the TV will be mounted is completely dark so again......my curiosity is getting the better of me.

Going to review this weekend so will let you know.

Thanks for your help.

GregM68

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
:) Was just looking at the 55 inch as it will sit in a recess but you have me thinking. Will get the dimensions and see how I get on.

Thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

LG’s 55 inch cinema 3D TV with 1080p resolution and 120Hz refresh rate, it delivers flicker free, wide angle viewing through lightweight, inexpensive, battery free passive glasses.

GregM68

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info James.

To be honest I have not really looked at any of the other manufacturers in any great detail......just sort of 'tire kicking' with them. :)

I am concerned with consistant performance with them over time as compared with the Pani & Sony. I am sure I am talking alot of old tosh!!

Saw the Pani at the weekend and was very impressed and it completely blew my Kuro away on terrestial 2d TV.....motion was incredible. Again I am not interested in sound as it will go through my system. On Blueray it was definitely better but my Kuro was holding on for dear life......still very good.

Seeing the Sony this weekend so will let all know when I have made up my mind. You have me thinking though................ :)

Again thanks for the input.

LG's 3D is very good, but just bear in mind one thing.

Unlike 3D TVs which employ active shutter glasses technology (which alternately flashes left- and right-eye images in quick succession in sync with the shutter glasses), LG's TV displays both left- and right-eye images at once, but interlaced into alternating lines.This essentially halves the resolution on one axis so you're not getting the full 1080p experience when viewing a movie in 3D. Regular 2D videos are of course in full 1080p since all lines are being used to display the image.

Besides, modern active shutter glasses are a lot more comfortable to wear.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
The advice, particularly if you like 3D (I myself don't!), is to get absolutely the biggest screen that you can. As well all the other good sets that you are being told about, for only £300 more than the Panasonic TX-P55VT50 you could get the Panasonic TX-P65ST50. However, do try to read the reviews of it by Mark Hodgkinson on AV Forums and by John Archer on Trusted Reviews. And see one set from the ST range in a shop, if at all possible!

Samsung's E8000 series of of active shutter plasmas are said to be particularly good with 3D, though their black levels are not as good as Panasonic's ST50, GT50 and VT50 series plasmas. You can easily find reviews of the Samsung sets online.

By the way, which model Pioneer Kuro have you?

GregM68

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all your advice guys. 3D with active shutter is definitely my preferred choice so will be going down this route. I would prefer a set larger than 50 otherwise I would have went straight for the GT50. Very curious to see the Sony though.

My Kuro was bought in Nov 07 and is the PDP-LX 508 which was £3.6k at the time and is still an absolute stonking set. My extended 5 year warranty expires in 2013 but apart from a blown relay has performed incredibly well. I adore it. Will let you know how I get on after I see the Sony in the flesh.

Thanks

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
GregM68 said:
My Kuro was bought in Nov 07 and is the PDP-LX 508 which was £3.6k at the time and is still an absolute stonking set.

Gosh, there was I thinking myself hard done by (compared to today's prices) that my 50" LX-5090 cost £2,443 in September 2009! Now you can buy a 50" Panasonic plasma, like the GT50, for instance, for "only" £1,400. Full HD of course, and unlike our sets it has Freeview HD, Freesat HD, 3D, and Smart TV features (but it doesn't have a 15-pin VGA socket for connecting to an older, non-HDMI, computer). Ah well. C'est la vie.

A

Anonymous

If I were you I would buy an LG set and save a decent amount of money. I haven’t seen any dvd or blue ray with bad quality on the lg set. The LM670T or the LM760T are both rich with 3d content. LG has been known to have poor sound but if that isn’t the matter for you, I would def reconsider since it can always be corrected with a 5.1.

GregM68

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Darth......will definitely consider it. My mother has a lower end LG LCD and to be honest it is not a bad set.

Saw the Sony 55 inch 3D set at the weekend. It is a stunning set and I was very impressed with it. 2D is incredible and it is also major winner price wise in comparison with the Pani. If sound was important the Sony wins hands down......it is actually quite good. Picture wise, especially in 3D, in my opinion, the Pani edges it.......although the majority of people will be incredibly happy with it. A very good set indeed.

GregM68

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Pani wins..........gets delivered on Friday!!!!

Thanks for your input. Very much appreciated.

Greg

(unpublished by mods - duplicate)

GregM68

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Due to space restrictions (the T.V. sits within a recess) in my front room I can only accept upto a 55 inch taking into account ventilation etc so chose the Panasonic TX-P55VT50B. Saw it at the weekend and was incredibly impressed. Cant sing it's praises high enough. Feel sorry for my Kuro now being relegated :) I bought the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 to go with it. Total cost for both £2495 from Richer sounds. Not a bad deal all in all I thought. Just cant wait to put it through its paces now!!!

Thanks

Greg

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
GregM68 said:
Feel sorry for my Kuro now being relegated :)

Nah, your Kuro will get over being relegated! My 50" one has been relegated once and my 42" one has been relegated twice, and so far, they've not thrown hissy fits and are still working well, touch wood ......

TRENDING THREADS