Re-using speakers from Sony HCIAB

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm wondering if you can confirm something for me, please. I have a Sony DAV DZ500F. I'm considering buying the Onkyo TX SR 605 amp. With some new speaker cable, will I be able to use the the Sony speakers and sub until I can get something better? Will they sound okay?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Can anyone help with this? Has anyone reused speakers from a HCIAB?

Thanks

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Chances are the sub from the Sony system is passive, whereas you'll need an active one (with built-in amp) to work with the Onkyo. And frankly, with an AV receiver as good as the Onkyo, you'll get much better performance with a dedicated set of surround speakers.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Basically, no you can't. The main speakers have very very low nominal impedance - around 2.7ohms - and would soon make the amp run out of juice, and the sub is a passive design - ie with no amp built-in - whereas the Onkyo needs to be used with an amp with its own amp onboard. So you'll have no bass whatsoever for the very brief time before the receiver goes into protection mode because the speaker impedance is so low.

You could do it, but the sound would be as thin as a pipecleaner that hero-worships Victoria Beckham, and the receiver would probably shut down faster than a Spice Girls world tour.

A

Anonymous

If I were you I'd wait for the upcoming replacement for the 605 and in the meantime save the pennies up for a dedicated 5.1 speaker system.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a million for your help - I thought I might be able to get by for a while! 'Proper' speakers it is then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts