Re-capping

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hey,

My amp / pre / PSU's are around 23 years old. I'm wondering two things:

1: how do you know that you need to re-cap? What sonic changes happen when the caps are coming to the end of their life?

and,

2: Is it just the amp that would need it, or the Pre - amp, too?

Actually, I'll add a:

3: What's the sound like after re-capping? What changes are brought on, if any?

Thanks all.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I know Naim recommend a re-cap after 10 years, on pre and power amps. I would have thought your Exposure amps are probably long overdue!

I imagine that all amps degrade over time, and one just gets used to the sound. They should sound 'as new' after a service.

Notwithstanding the sound, look after them and they should give another quarter of a century of service.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~reese/electrolytics/

Try the above link for some info.

I personally wouldn't bother replacing the caps unless you had an obvious and diagnosed problem.

As for the sonic differences, it depends entirely on which part of the circuitry that the failed cap is. It could range from minor distortion to a complete loss of sound.

matthewpiano

Hi Bretty

Don't forget that Steve checks all his gear over thoroughly before sale so if something was badly out of spec. I'm sure he would have sorted it. Worth a chat with him? I once discussed re-capping with him and he wasn't that enthusiastic about the idea unless there was something obviously wrong with a piece of kit.

T

the record spot

Had my current amp (the Sansui below) when I had it serviced after buying last year. Turns out most of the small capacitors were corroded. It had still played fine (!), but on return and after a few hours use, it was back to its old self. Ample power, real heft and dynamic scale to the music. Only thinking about shifting it now thanks to needing some 21st century connectivity. Soundwise its superb, so check who's doing the work for you and take it from there.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:Hi BrettyDon't forget that Steve checks all his gear over thoroughly before sale so if something was badly out of spec. I'm sure he would have sorted it. Worth a chat with him? I once discussed re-capping with him and he wasn't that enthusiastic about the idea unless there was something obviously wrong with a piece of kit.

Thanks, MP.

I did ask Steve and Dave about the lifespan of the caps, when I bought the amps. The gist of what they said was that the caps get nowhere near to the heat rating that they have, whilst being used, and therefore will last many times what the manufacturers say the lifespan of the caps are. Bottom line was: they'll probably outlive me.

I guess last night I was just a bit bored (and squiffy ) and felt like tweaking something. Back to sanity, this morning!

Thanks you all for your comments.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Had my current amp (the Sansui below) when I had it serviced after buying last year. Turns out most of the small capacitors were corroded. It had still played fine (!), but on return and after a few hours use, it was back to its old self. Ample power, real heft and dynamic scale to the music. Only thinking about shifting it now thanks to needing some 21st century connectivity. Soundwise its superb, so check who's doing the work for you and take it from there.

Oh man, I didn't think you'd ever get rid of the Sansui. I've loved reading how much you've loved the old beast, over the last couple of years, being a vintage man myself.

A

Anonymous

bretty:
Hey,

1: how do you know that you need to re-cap? What sonic changes happen when the caps are coming to the end of their life?

and,

Actually, I'll add a:

Thanks all.

If they run hot, maybe, if they run cool, probably not. If you don't hear any problems or differences between channels don't bother.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Alfie Noakes:bretty:
Hey,

and,

Actually, I'll add a:

Thanks all.

If they run hot, maybe, if they run cool, probably not. If you don't hear any problems or differences between channels don't bother.

Ah, I see you're a 'Derek And Clive' fan. Nice.

'Ello Colin, How are you then?'........ (fans will get it)

Unless your name actually is Alfie Noakes, and you don't have stories from the North. In which case, forget everything I just said.

T

the record spot

bretty:
the record spot:Had my current amp (the Sansui below) when I had it serviced after buying last year. Turns out most of the small capacitors were corroded. It had still played fine (!), but on return and after a few hours use, it was back to its old self. Ample power, real heft and dynamic scale to the music. Only thinking about shifting it now thanks to needing some 21st century connectivity. Soundwise its superb, so check who's doing the work for you and take it from there.

Oh man, I didn't think you'd ever get rid of the Sansui. I've loved reading how much you've loved the old beast, over the last couple of years, being a vintage man myself.

Ah, not a given yet mate - might try and agree a "workable solution" with Mrs. R_S. It'll cost me over the years mind.

harrisonp

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
No need to recap in my view.

I had a early Yahama CR 820 intergrated amp from new that was 40 years old + when i sold it on.

There was no sign of the caps bubbling or leaking and it sounded just as good all those later.

If the caps were of a decent quality to start with they should be good throughout the amps life -span.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts