RCMs - Okki Nokki, Moth or VPI 16.5?

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have getting on for 1000 LPs these days (how did that happen!?) and I'd like to invest in an RCM. These are the three I am considering. Does anyone have personal experience of any of these models?

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
I have used a VPI 16.5 for over 15 years, cleaned over 5000 LPs and it is still going strong. Various bits need replacing from time to time, which is fairly standard.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
I have used a VPI 16.5 for over 15 years, cleaned over 5000 LPs and it is still going strong. Various bits need replacing from time to time, which is fairly standard.

The VPI is the only one of the three I have seen working first-hand, and although I didn't hear the results, the record did look much, much cleaner. As it is the most expensive of the three, I was wondering if it is a step up in quality. 15 years & 5000 LPs is a fair amount!

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Waxy said:
The VPI is the only one of the three I have seen working first-hand, and although I didn't hear the results, the record did look much, much cleaner. As it is the most expensive of the three, I was wondering if it is a step up in quality. 15 years & 5000 LPs is a fair amount!

All you are really looking for in a record cleaner like this is reliability and a solid motor. The end result of cleaning depends upon a few other factors, not least your cleaning technque/routine and the brushes and cleaning fluid you use. Looking back to when I first started I wasn't great at cleaning and it took me forever to do a couple of sides! Now I'm fairly quick as I have developed my own routine and ways of cleaning records, which you will have to do as well. I'm sure lots of vinyl heads on here have their own favourite cleaning solution, after several years I settled for Russ Andrews. Other things I use, essential to me at this point in my cleaning process, are a Milty Zerostat gun and a hair dryer for quick drying. Others will disagree, so again it really is a case of just buying what you think is the most solidly built and reliable machine and developing your own record cleaning ritual!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts