RCA socketed adjustable inline attenuator needed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I haven't heard the new ADM9RS's but I can confirm that the DM5's are an improvement over the old ADM9T's.

I'm even wondering if I really need to add a subwoofer. The bass from the DM5's is far better than such a tiny speaker has any right to be able to produce. The size of the sound really does have to be heard to be believed.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I haven't heard the new ADM9RS's but I can confirm that the DM5's are an improvement over the old ADM9T's.

I'm even wondering if I really need to add a subwoofer. The bass from the DM5's is far better than such a tiny speaker has any right to be able to produce. The size of the sound really does have to be heard to be believed.

I'm becoming quite familier with a friends pair of older 9.1s (?). In isolation they just sound great, I do not play that loud but the effortless dynamics are what I am really after.

They are used in a very well furnished room and despite a reputation for being light in the bass, I find them very good in that respect. It is mostly this that makes me wonder if I would need the sub, particularly as the newer models are supposed to be a bit weightier in that respect.

Operationally I think the 9's are a far better bet too, for me at least. Ideally I would want to drive them with a Spotify Connect enabled source, but Bluesound Node apart, they are pretty thin on the ground. May have to stick with AEX or ATV.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
...Operationally I think the 9's are a far better bet too, for me at least. Ideally I would want to drive them with a Spotify Connect enabled source, but Bluesound Node apart, they are pretty thin on the ground. May have to stick with AEX or ATV.

Operationally the DAC and pre-amp on the ADM9's is a big bonus over the DM5's. Although the same thing can also be said for other actives, but not having them on the DM5's is a bit of a PITA to be honest. I'd happily live with a slightly larger enclosure and pay an extra £100 to have a built in DAC, pre-amp, subwoofer output and remote control on them.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:
...Operationally I think the 9's are a far better bet too, for me at least. Ideally I would want to drive them with a Spotify Connect enabled source, but Bluesound Node apart, they are pretty thin on the ground. May have to stick with AEX or ATV.

Operationally the DAC and pre-amp on the ADM9's is a big bonus over the DM5's. Although the same thing can also be said for other actives, but not having them on the DM5's is a bit of a PITA to be honest. I'd happily live with a slightly larger enclosure and pay an extra £100 to have a built in DAC, pre-amp, subwoofer output and remote control on them.

Operationally the only issue I can see is the difficulty of getting a headphone output in a simple AEX or ATV based system, otherwise they are just the job.

The Bluesound Node (or Sonos Connect) will give me that, at a price. Expensive for someone who only really plans to stream or use radio (courtesy of Virgin). I have been looking into options that include Spotify Connect, hence my liking for the Node.

I know you have been considering an AVR for use with the DM5s, not really an option with the ADMs due to most AVRs not having digital outs, using analogue sort of goes against the grain for me. The AEX/ADM is such an inexpensive and elegant solution in so many ways. Any idea for a separate Airplay/headamp......?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
davedotco said:
Any idea for a separate Airplay/headamp......?

The best bet is an AEX plugged into a DAC/HPA.

That is my thought too, an advantage is that it can be located close to my (headphone) listening position.

Somehow i just long for more elegant solutions, but if I buy an ATV, as planned, I will have a spare AEX, so it kind of works. Maybe with a Little Dot head amplifier, I like the distance/space that valves give in this application.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I think the users proximity to the HPA, generally rules out the neccessity for Airplay.

Airplay is used to transfer from mobile platform to static, but if you are plugged into an HPA, so could the mobile device, hence the lack of equipment with this function.

Another option would be to carry a portable HPA that piggy backs the mobile player, a Fiio E17 or similar for example. There are plenty of choices for excellent portable amps at far less than the Fiio.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:
I'm running them of a Behringer UCA202 at the moment. It works a treat and without bothering to do in depth comparisons it seems to sound the same as the O2 DAC.

Presumably you using the headphone out on the UCA202 to get a level match?

The ECA202 is a stupendously good bit of kit for the price of a round of drinks, absolute bargain but far too cheap for the hi-fi comunity to take it at all seriously...

I'm back to using the O2 DAC/headphone amp to run the DM5's again. While the DAC section of the UCA202 is perfectly good the headphone output isn't the greatest. There's a slight channel imbalance which moves the stereo image off centre by a few inches and on closer inspection the sound isn't quite as crisp as with the O2.

Still on the plus side the O2 sound perfect and I've managed to tidy the cable up nicely now that I've bought some longer cables. :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:
I'm running them of a Behringer UCA202 at the moment. It works a treat and without bothering to do in depth comparisons it seems to sound the same as the O2 DAC.

The ECA202 is a stupendously good bit of kit for the price of a round of drinks, absolute bargain but far too cheap for the hi-fi comunity to take it at all seriously...

I'm back to using the O2 DAC/headphone amp to run the DM5's again. While the DAC section of the UCA202 is perfectly good the headphone output isn't the greatest. There's a slight channel imbalance which moves the stereo image off centre by a few inches and on closer inspection the sound isn't quite as crisp as with the O2.

Still on the plus side the O2 sound perfect and I've managed to tidy the cable up nicely now that I've bought some longer cables. :)

Good to here that you get a little bit extra from the more sophistcated ODac.

Currently I use a Fiio D3 as a kind of mobile dac with my laptop, if I did not have it I would be happy to use the UCA202, it has always sounded great whenever I have come across it, never tried the phone amp though.

Combine it with a small cheap pair of actives for a desktop, or even bigger, system that will astonish for the price.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:

Good to here that you get a little bit extra from the more sophistcated ODac.

Currently I use a Fiio D3 as a kind of mobile dac with my laptop, if I did not have it I would be happy to use the UCA202, it has always sounded great whenever I have come across it, never tried the phone amp though.

Combine it with a small cheap pair of actives for a desktop, or even bigger, system that will astonish for the price.

I'd happily use the UCA202 as a stand alone DAC but as a pre-amp it's a little lacking sonically. Still for £15 you can't expect miracles.

Used as just a DAC between a computer and a good pair of active speakers (with built in adjustable volume levels) it would make for a terrific system.

TRENDING THREADS