RCA socketed adjustable inline attenuator needed

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
steve_1979 said:
As the title says.

Can anyone recommed a good cheap one?

Never had the need, but Google is your friend.

What are they for?

AVI DM5's. :D

I'm using the Windows volume control on the PC at the moment but I want an inline one so that I can leave the Windows volume at 100% and use a physical knob on the desk to control them.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
What voltages are the DM5s designed to work with? They don't seem ideal if they need an attenuator to get the best out of them.

It might be an idea to know the output voltage of the Pc at min and max settings. You could check it out with a multimeter. If the voltage is unusually high, ie above 3V, it might explain the need, particularly if the DM5s are designed with a max 2V signal in mind.

A -10dB attenuator would probably be a good start, but would an analouge volume control not attenuate enough anyway? Seems a bit odd to me.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
What voltages are the DM5s designed to work with? They don't seem ideal if they need an attenuator to get the best out of them.

It might be an idea to know the output voltage of the Pc at min and max settings. You could check it out with a multimeter. If the voltage is unusually high, ie above 3V, it might explain the need, particularly if the DM5s are designed with a max 2V signal in mind.

A -10dB attenuator would probably be a good start, but would an analouge volume control not attenuate enough anyway? Seems a bit odd to me.

I'm using the Epiphany Acoustics EHP-02D as a DAC at the moment but the RCA sockets have a fixed gain. I could just use the 3.5mm headphone socket on the front but I'd prefer something that plugs into the back RCA sockets if possible.

I'll be getting an AV receiver or something similar to use in the future so this is just a temporary fix for a few months while I save up.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
It's a pity the ODA wasn't finished.

It's a pity the EHP-02Di doesn't have variable output from the RCA's. :(

As a tempory fix I'm now using a shielded 3.5mm to RCA cable from the EHP-02Di headphone output which allows me to use it as a pre-amp as well as a DAC which works perfectly with the Windows volume set at 100%.

I would rather have had all of the cables plugged into the back because it looks neater. But considering I'll be buying an AV reveiver in the future to use as a multiple input source and pre-amp it's probably the best just to leave it like it is for now.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Oh and in case anyone is wondering... these DM5's sound absolutely wonderful. *yahoo*

John Duncan really owes it to himself to have a listen to a pair. They are far better than the Neutron 5's . I'm sure you'd love them JD. :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Oh and in case anyone is wondering... these DM5's sound absolutely wonderful. *yahoo*

John Duncan really owes it to himself to have a listen to a pair. They are far better than the Neutron 5's . I'm sure you'd love them JD. :)

Have you asked the nice people at Epiphany if they can reduce the main output by 10db or so?

A number of people have expressed reservations that the DM5s are unduly sensitive so you are not alone in this.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:

Have you asked the nice people at Epiphany if they can reduce the main output by 10db or so?

A number of people have expressed reservations that the DM5s are unduly sensitive so you are not alone in this.

They do seem very sensitive, although I don't know how they compare to other active speakers in this respect. I was hoping to be able to use the PC volume as a temporary fix while I save up the money for a proper pre-amp. Using the headphone output works perfectly though so I'm fine with that for now.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:

They do seem very sensitive, although I don't know how they compare to other active speakers in this respect. I was hoping to be able to use the PC volume as a temporary fix while I save up the money for a proper pre-amp. Using the headphone output works perfectly though so I'm fine with that for now.

Pretty much all the 'pro' style active monitors have some kind of level adjustment, I know that there were requests for such a feature during developement of the DM5 but they were knocked back.

Unless you are going to use a proper pre-amp I think they are very useful indeed, my cheap Studiospares/Seiwins have one and it has made the setup, in two different configurations, an absolute breeze.

Depending on your requirements, Marantz are looking to update their NR1504/1604 models with the new NR1605 already replacing the 1604.

Give it a few months and they will be cheap enough.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Have you ever thought of buying a cheap two or four channel passive mixer? £25 or less. Basically a box with pots and some sockets. Seems to be just what you need.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The Fostex inline volume control is tempting. Depending on how long it takes to save up for a new subwoofer and AVR I might get one of those to tide me over for a few months.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Steve...

Just checking but I assume your dac outputs the usual 2 volt Red Book standard?

The volume settings in your media player seem awfully low, you should check that there is nothing adding extra gain in your computer.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
Steve...

The volume settings in your media player seem awfully low, you should check that there is nothing adding extra gain in your computer.

I have no idea what the voltage output on the DAC is. There are probably some specs for it somewhere on the internet.

When using the headphone amplifier as a pre-amp it all works perfectly. I have the PC volume set at 100% and have all the control and adjustment that I need using either the volume on the headphone amplifier or the volume in Media Player. It works a treat. :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Steve...

Having checked, the Epiphany DAC is 2V line output and the DM5s are apparently designed for 1V.

There's the reason for the sensitivity.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:
Steve...

I have no idea what the voltage output on the DAC is. There are probably some specs for it somewhere on the internet.

When using the headphone amplifier as a pre-amp it all works perfectly. I have the PC volume set at 100% and have all the control and adjustment that I need using either the volume on the headphone amplifier or the volume in Media Player. It works a treat. :)

Excellent.

Sounds like it will work beautifully with any variable output dac/preamp but will be a problem vith anything with a 2 volt fixed output, the analogue out of an AEX should work though, that is nowhere near 2 volts.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:
Steve...

Excellent.

Sounds like it will work beautifully with any variable output dac/preamp but will be a problem vith anything with a 2 volt fixed output, the analogue out of an AEX should work though, that is nowhere near 2 volts.

I knew it would be a long shot using the fixed gain DAC output with Windows acting as a volume control but it was worth a try. I knew that I had the option of the headphone output to fall back on even if having to use a cable plugged into the front irritates my OCD a bit.

They work fine straight out of a phone or MP3 player.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm running them of a Behringer UCA202 at the moment. It works a treat and without bothering to do in depth comparisons it seems to sound the same as the O2 DAC. I'll continue using it for a while until I upgrade because I can hide it out of site unlike the desktop O2 DAC which needed the cable plugged into the front which is irritating.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I'm running them of a Behringer UCA202 at the moment. It works a treat and without bothering to do in depth comparisons it seems to sound the same as the O2 DAC. I'll continue using it for a while until I upgrade because I can hide it out of site unlike the desk top O2 DAC which needed the cable plugged into the front which is irritating.

Presumably you using the headphone out on the UCA202 to get a level match?

The ECA202 is a stupendously good bit of kit for the price of a round of drinks, absolute bargain but far too cheap for the hi-fi comunity to take it at all seriously.

In fact it does everything I want as a usb dac except sit on the desktop and look pretty, my prefered system is minimalist, but I want to be able to use headphones without thinking about it, ie plag and play.

My prefered option would be something like the latest Bushmaster II, i don't need usb in this setup and simply plugging in the 'phones mutes the main outputs, perfect.

Fixed main output though, so, like your Odac, a poor match for DM5s.

Read about your experiences with the subwoofer elsewhere, interesting as always. My own thoughts would be to go with the ADM9 and forget the sub entirely. Like you, I like a bit of dub, but can manage without the subteranean bass, just sounds wrong at domestic levels anyway.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:

Yep.

davedotco said:
Read about your experiences with the subwoofer elsewhere, interesting as always. My own thoughts would be to go with the ADM9 and forget the sub entirely. Like you, I like a bit of dub, but can manage without the subteranean bass, just sounds wrong at domestic levels anyway.

For most music listening I use a sub to gently extend the bass without overdoing it.

But when listening to rave music or play computer games I use the subwoofer like a graphic equalizer for the bass by raising the crossover point and increasing the volume so that is shakes the whole room even when listening at moderate volume levels.

I have no interest in anything bar playing music on my system. I have never been happy with the integration of any sub in my various systems, my preference for really tight, fast main speakers, seems to make that really difficult.

I will, at some point make the effort to try the latest ADM/sub setup, it's really not that expensive as a system and what I have heard of (mostly earlier) ADMs I have liked a lot. I don't do big orchestras or much in the way of deep bass, so I am guessing, mainly from what I have read, that the 9RSs will do me fine.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:

Yep.

davedotco said:

For most music listening I use a sub to gently extend the bass without overdoing it.

But when listening to rave music or playing computer games I use the subwoofer like a graphic equalizer for the bass by raising the crossover point and increasing the volume so that is shakes the whole room even when listening at moderate volume levels.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:
davedotco said:

Yep.

davedotco said:

But when listening to rave music or play computer games I use the subwoofer like a graphic equalizer for the bass by raising the crossover point and increasing the volume so that is shakes the whole room even when listening at moderate volume levels.

I have no interest in anything bar playing music on my system. I have never been happy with the integration of any sub in my various systems, my preference for really tight, fast main speakers, seems to make that really difficult.

I will, at some point make the effort to try the latest ADM/sub setup, it's really not that expensive as a system and what I have heard of (mostly earlier) ADMs I have liked a lot. I don't do big orchestras or much in the way of deep bass, so I am guessing, mainly from what I have read, that the 9RSs will do me fine.

I know what you mean with 2.1 setups. IME they're difficult to get right. But the ADM and Neutron 2.1 systems are one of the very few which manage to pull it off seamlessly. You should really try to hear the ADM's with a sub if you ever get the opportunity.

Regarding the ADM9's on their own vs the DM5's with a sub. There's been a couple of people who prefer the sound of DM5's over the most recent ADM9RS's and apparently they have a slightly better stereo image too. As I don't need the extra volume levels of the ADM's and using the sub will extend the bass much lower I figured the cheaper DM5's would be a safe bet. Also I don't much like the look of the ADM9's proportions where the petite DM5 look gorgeous.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts