Raumfeld Connector as a hifi source

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I don't have anything to test that. AIUI, Toslink has separate audio and metadata channels, so a volume signal could be implemented. I will be getting a DAC with Toslink in to play with soon, so will find out then. I'm more interested in seeing what the quality is like than whether volume can be controlled, but that is interesting too!

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Looks like the volume control has no effect on the digital output - at least as far as the AVIs are concerned. I suppose it's either that the Raumfeld isn't saying how loud it should be, or that the AVI is ignoring it!

Given that the DAC in the AVI is 24 bit, it should be possible for the Raumfeld to use the spare 8 bits (assuming that the normal signal is 16 bits) as volume, no?

However, it's not such a big issue for me to just use the analogue connection into the AVI (and that does have a useable volume control) - or indeed use the AVI remote.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It is not difficult to implement, Sonos do it on their Connect model, but I guess a fixed level makes sense too.

These days I really like to have an integrated control system, so having to put down a tablet that controls everything else to adjust the volume would really anoy me.

Fot it's low price I think the Raumfeld is a great bit of kit, with native support for Spotify and Tidal along with local streaming and internet audio it is all many (including me) need.

Sure a Toslink in for the TV would be nice, as indeed would be built in Airplay though I rarely find I need that these days. At some point I shall hook up the TV via a cheap toslink dac, but at this time of the year it is not urgent.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Just wondering - why no AirPlay? I think Raumfeld have implemented AirPlay on other devices before, so why not this one? Maybe it's a licencing fee issue?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Just wondering - why no AirPlay? I think Raumfeld have implemented AirPlay on other devices before, so why not this one? Maybe it's a licencing fee issue?

Don't think so, they fit Bluetooth to everything. Their multiroom setup uses your existing LAN, it does not create it's own as Sonos and Yamaha do.

That said, the Connector 2 is a very useful box for just £120. Add a pair of small Yamaha or Presonus actives and you have a very nice simple setup, under £500 including stands and cables.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
They did something called iTeufel Air (actually, that's not quite fair, as that was before the takeover!).

I think the connector is great, though, but it has gone up post-breferendum.

I'll prob. use my AppleTV to do AirPlay, as it is a very useful thing.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
They are rather fond of a cut price offer from time to time so check on a day by day basis.

They are German so prices will go up because of the exchange rate, but if sales to the UK fall, I am sure that they will readust or make an offer if they can.

Still, if you accept that you are not going to get real hi-end performance, it is still pretty damn good for the money.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Not sure what the entry price is to "high-end performance" but I'm pretty happy with what I've got. The main issue will not be one of equipment, but rather my family telling me to turn the volume down. Think I might have to have a permanent system in the garage.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Not sure what the entry price is to "high-end performance" but I'm pretty happy with what I've got. The main issue will not be one of equipment, but rather my family telling me to turn the volume down. Think I might have to have a permanent system in the garage.

It's not entirely price related but about the choices and compromises that you make.

For example I listen to virtually all my music from Spotify. I totally understand that this is a sub-optimum source but on regular, commercial recordings any differences from CD standard are tiny.

Similarly the Connector 2 seems good enough in that context so the quality balance is fine. My speakers could be positioned better, I have done this and it improves focus, depth, soundstage etc but for practical reasons they are where they are.

Overall, the setup sounds clear and effortless, it is balanced, tonaly, for modest to medium levels, if I want to play loud I would use the bass shelving controls on my speakers to take the bass down a notch or two.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I've been eagerly downloading quite a lot of Radio 3 content (at 320kb/s) and putting it on my NAS drive and then playing on the Raumfeld Connector. All very nice and lovely performances, so I'm not too fussed that it's not 10000000Gb/sec, etc. But....

...I seem to be unable to get the Raumfeld to recognise chapter markers in .m4a files. Has anyone got any suggestions on making these big concerts more easily navigable?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone but me think a Raumfield Connector sounds like it should be something vitally important in a time-travelling Delorean, somewhere in the same circuit as the flux capacitor?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts