Rattling speakers playing Dark knight

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi ppl, I was playing the Dark knight this morn thru my LGBD390 connected to my Yamaha RXV2400 amp via analogue outputs. I selected multi ch on amp and began watching. Previously I set amp up with YAPO but then tweaked levels to listening point at 75db. Kef 2005.1 are being used. I turned volume to -10 and it was not over loud but seriously good. At the point of 31mins 40seconds it pans from joker snapping pool cue to a panning building scene, my speakers started to rattle badly. I checked crossover and reset to 100htz instead of 80htz, played again and still rattling. Even at 120htz sub crossover this still happened!! Any ideas?? If you need more info just ask?? Thanks guys

greybb

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Don't know about your problem, but someone from Kef told me to leave the crossover at 80hz otherwise you'll damage the speakers.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I can't see how my speakers will become damaged if I set crossover higher than 80htz, it just means less low frequencies are being sent to satellites?!!

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
An oak long tv bench. Speakers at either end and centre underneath. It's fine during the dialogue but when thr is a heavy bass scene the cones flap in and out! Obviously I turned volume down. If anyone owns this bluray disc pls spin it up to the scene and tell me how it should sound?? Thanks

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Anyone spun this disk up yet to see if they have the same problem or can inform me of how the sound should be??

Pls anyone!!

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Sta99Y,

I have all my speakers (including the sub) set at 80Hz with the level calibration for the sub at -15db.

With a single sub, you may want to try between -10 and -12db and decide if that suits you better.

Works for me. Hope that helps.

Ronald

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
At the moment the sub is set at +5db which when I used the spl meter it was only hovering around 60db. I gave up trying to calibrate in the end. Il change crossover setting on amp in morn to 80hz again with all speakers showing small. I will set gain on sub at around the 12o'clock position and frequency as near to 80hz then sub level on amp to -10 and try. Will all these settings work even tho my amp is switched in multi ch input mode?

Thanks again Ronald.

A

Anonymous

Could it be that the sub level is too high and it is the sub which is making the rattling? At high levels many subs will do that.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi again, checked all settings this morn. 1stly my LGBD390 is connected via the analogue outs and also coax for watching DVD. I switch to multi ch input on amp when watching BD so BD player does the decoding of HD Audio. I switch multi ch off on amp to allow amp to decode in DTS core as BD has the re-encode feature. My menu for Audio on BD is HDMI - PCM stereo, SPDIF DTS Re-encode. I scroll down to speaker setup and choose 5.1, it asks size of speakers and I choose small, I select yes for Sub. I have a choice of low, medium or high for output to speakers, I chose high. I switched multi ch input on amp set test tone and measured 75db to all speakers at my listening point. Would zero on amp now be reference level? When the scene plays on Dark knight it still rumbles, and speaker cones flap! However if I switch multi ch off and allow the amp with re-encode enabled the sound is perfect!!! No crackling flapping of speaker cones. It puzzles me as sound from either connections is same volume to my ears but the re-encode feature plays the bass levels fine and satellites sound perfect!!

Anymore setup info needed pls ask and il give relevant info.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
sta99y:At the moment the sub is set at +5db which when I used the spl meter it was only hovering around 60db. I gave up trying to calibrate in the end. Il change crossover setting on amp in morn to 80hz again with all speakers showing small. I will set gain on sub at around the 12o'clock position and frequency as near to 80hz then sub level on amp to -10 and try. Will all these settings work even tho my amp is switched in multi ch input mode? Thanks again Ronald.

sta99y,

I'm assuming all these settings you are referring to are on the AVR? Have you set the settings for the x-over and speaker size/distance on the LG BD player? Most AVRs simply pass through the multichannel analogue input and only apply volume to it meaning that all the setup you have done in the receiver for channel level, speaker size, distance and crossover must be replicated on the player that is feeding the multi-channel analogue inputs.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey Tom,

The BD player only has settings for speaker size and whether the output is low,medium or high!! There is no speaker distances or crossover settings within the BD player!!

All distances and crossover settings, speaker levels can be applied in the amp even in multi ch mode. Just DSP programs can't be used!!

greybb

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
sta99y:I can't see how my speakers will become damaged if I set crossover higher than 80htz, it just means less low frequencies are being sent to satellites?!!

Just relaying what the gentleman from Kef told me, didn't say what direction, just "leave it at 80hz or i'd damage the speakers"

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
greybb:

sta99y:I can't see how my speakers will become damaged if I set crossover higher than 80htz, it just means less low frequencies are being sent to satellites?!!

Just relaying what the gentleman from Kef told me, didn't say what direction, just "leave it at 80hz or i'd damage the speakers"

of course mate i understand,not implying you are wrong in any way. i thank you for taking the time to post like others have.

A

Anonymous

So well done! Re-encode gives you all you want, without the rattling.... Try a few other movies that really engage you under these settings. If it's all as you desire, post the settings for others users because it looks like you cracked the problem - then folk than think about why this is working....

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
def lugs:Have you tried lowering the speaker level down on the player?
spoe with LG tech dept but they were unable to help however i should recieve a call on monday morning from some techie guru in their underground dept lol. i have lowred the output level to medium on all speakers and the sub within the BD player, also set it to low. it makes no difference! but if i switch to turning off multi ch so it re-encodes its perfect. i am in the middl of watching Transformers 2 and have BD player output level set to medium, amp in multi ch mode and volume at -10 (its pretty loud) (hope my neighbours still like me in the morning lol) this film sounds amazing, the Bass is deep and punchy, on some scenes it has a like a sine sweep of low frequency and it was mental.my speakers are running fine with no probs. im puzzled why the scene in dark knight sounds rubbish in multi ch but perfect in re-encode, and this transformers movie terrific in either. i have scratched my head so much it is grazed!

thanks again guys

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts