R90AV-12 Sub question...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks - been a reader of your mag since my first system at uni & never looked back; keep up the good work.

Recently been in a position to require gf friendly speakers for the new house, so following loads of auditioning (Tannoy Arena - lovely, MT-20 - lovelier, Gallo Micro...great look, thats about it), have purchased the R90AV-12 & 2 days in am already happy - despite not being run in yet. Currently running them with a Yamaha RX-V520 which I know proabaly isnt doing them justice but will be upgraded soon....views welcome on this also!

My question regards the sub. When listening to TV at a low level, the sub keep switching itself off when the auto setting with a 'click' and suddenly zero bass. If I have the volume slightly higher all is fine, and no probs with films either as they are played much louder ;-)

Aside from leaving the sub turned all all the time, or remembering to switch on & off, is there any way of lowering the input level required so that the auto feature works at normal background volume levels?

All speakers are set to small, with bass set to sub only. Can't locate anything else in the menus to adjust the bass / sub settings via the amp except for D-Digital & DTS sub menus which aren't relevant for normal TV through SKY.

Many thanks,

Matt

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd suggest turning down the gain on the sub, and boosting the subwoofer output level on the receiver, and also selecting 'BOTH' for bass output in two-channel mode.

See instruction manual pp19-20 and 34.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew; already have the gain down on the sub & LFE level boosted on the amp to 0dB. Sub gain currently set at just below 40%.

One part that does interest me is why I should put the bass output to 'both' on 2 channel sources given the sat speaker response only go down to 80hz; surely this would put all frequencies to the sats rather than letting the sub handle them? Or does setting the speaker set to small eliminate this problem?

Sorry for the possibly daft questions, been used to large floorstanders so this is my first foray into sub /sat combos. I have the sub currently set to use the cross over in the amp rather than the subs one (as per the RS W12 instructions) I presume this is correct also?

Thanks

Matt

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It means the main speakers will handle the bass down to where they roll off, and the sub will overlap, but it also means the sub will be in use for stereo sound, and not just for audio with a separate LFE component.

A

Anonymous

So now slowly getting more and more confused Andrew; when I listen to music, I turn the effects off to give me 2 channel audio; not having any problem at all with the sub on 2 channel - seems to work fine, its only when using pro-logic at low volume that the problem arises.

Thanks

MAtt

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ah right, well you didn't mention you were watching TV in Pro-Logic...

In that case I think you need to boost the sub output on the receiver up well and cut the gain on the sub right back to balance. It's simply that the sub isn't getting enough signal at low levels to stop its auto standby working.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, will have a play & see what works.

Suppose late at night can always switch sub to 'on' if I need lower levels and the auto switch continues to turn to off!

Matt

A

Anonymous

Have managed to get this to work now, thanks Andrew.

I do have one more thing to clarify having read some other forums last night. As mentioned, I am currently using the 'out' setting on the subwoofer so that the crossover dial is not in use (as per instructions on the sub) is this the best way for me to optimise the sound, or should I use the sub's crossover dial and the 'in' setting?

Thanks

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts