Question R1700BT Setup Help? ><

Lriya

Feb 6, 2021
Visit site
Just purchased a pair of R1700BT. I should have gone with the R1850DB. I just noticed the R1700BT speakers don't have a optical port. & saw it uses the "colored cables". <-- I'm a newbie to audio so idk what they are called. By looking on the product page, it seems there is one cable I can maybe use? It splits into 2 and the other end looks like it should plug into the motherboard? But is that the right way to use speakers ? Will it sound just as fine without using optical ports? etc.

Picture of the cable here:
1.png

I also am interested in maybe buying a Full DAC if that makes the speakers sound any clearer/better etc. If anyone can recommend me one.

Gray

Just purchased a pair of R1700BT. I should have gone with the R1850DB. I just noticed the R1700BT speakers don't have a optical port. & saw it uses the "colored cables". <-- I'm a newbie to audio so idk what they are called. By looking on the product page, it seems there is one cable I can maybe use? It splits into 2 and the other end looks like it should plug into the motherboard? But is that the right way to use speakers ? Will it sound just as fine without using optical ports? etc.

Picture of the cable here:

I also am interested in maybe buying a Full DAC if that makes the speakers sound any clearer/better etc. If anyone can recommend me one.
The lead you've highlighted is a stereo 3.5mm jack to twin RCA (white plug left channel, red plug right channel on the R1700BT).
If your motherboard has a 3.5mm line output socket, it will be fine for your needs.

The Zen DAC (below) could be a good choice for you. It would connect to your computer by USB - then to your speakers using the twin RCA (red / white each end) lead.
The fixed or variable switch on the back means you could choose whether to control your speakers volume using either the Zen or by the speakers' own control.
It would also give you a decent little headphone amp for your desktop......and be a good DAC for any upgraded hi-fi system in the future.

Last edited:

Lriya

Feb 6, 2021
Visit site
The lead you've highlighted is a stereo 3.5mm jack to twin RCA (white plug left channel, red plug right channel on the R1700BT).
If your motherboard has a 3.5mm line output socket, it will be fine for your needs.

The Zen DAC (below) could be a good choice for you. It would connect to your computer by USB - then to your speakers using the twin RCA (red / white each end) lead.
The fixed or variable switch on the back means you could choose whether to control your speakers volume using either the Zen or by the speakers' own control.
It would also give you a decent little headphone amp for your desktop......and be a good DAC for any upgraded hi-fi system in the future.
Thanks for getting back to me. My motherboard is a Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming Motherboard. I'm going to have to research and see if it does support a 3.5mm socket.

Would this Full DAC change the sound quality at all? or does it only allow me to change the volume using the DAC instead? Before I purchase, I'll check if my motherboard can support the 3.5mm socket thingy first if there is no difference between the two.

Gray

....I'll check if my motherboard can support the 3.5mm socket thingy
It does. And it's all you need.
On the back of your motherboard, the green socket in the middle marked 'line out' is the one (it's a 3.5mm stereo socket) It gives analogue out to your speakers - you'd be using the DAC on your motherboard - and it's probably quite a good one.

It might give you slightly better sound, but you don't need that Zen DAC - if you played a lot of music from your computer, it might be worth it, but it costs (at least) as much? as the speakers - so maybe give it a miss (you could always get something like it in the future).

Lriya

Feb 6, 2021
Visit site
It does. And it's all you need.
On the back of your motherboard, the green socket in the middle marked 'line out' is the one (it's a 3.5mm stereo socket) It gives analogue out to your speakers - you'd be using the DAC on your motherboard - and it's probably quite a good one.

It might give you slightly better sound, but you don't need that Zen DAC - if you played a lot of music from your computer, it might be worth it, but it costs (at least) as much? as the speakers - so maybe give it a miss (you could always get something like it in the future).
Yeah, I see. The motherboard costed me like 300$ or so. So If it does have a built in DAC, i agree it should be a good one. xD. So you saying I don't need it? Or rather, it might sound just a tad better with the DAC? But not noticeable? I'm not much of a audio guy so I doubt I personally would tell the difference. I just got the speakers to mainly watch movies, and play games while not wearing the headphones. So Something that is clear and crisp when it comes to games / movies.

However, I would one-day like to upgrade my current DAC? It's a "I'm Fulla Schiit". Though I only use it for my headphones. However, for my speakers and perhaps also my headphones. Is there an upgrade I can do to make the sound better? Perhaps in the future? That can do both the speakers and the headphones. & would make a very noticeable sound difference if anything. I dont mind if the DAC is around 200-300$ or so. Just something I been thinking of upgrading.

Gray

Yeah, I see. The motherboard costed me like 300$ or so. So If it does have a built in DAC, i agree it should be a good one. xD. So you saying I don't need it? Or rather, it might sound just a tad better with the DAC? But not noticeable? I'm not much of a audio guy so I doubt I personally would tell the difference. I just got the speakers to mainly watch movies, and play games while not wearing the headphones. So Something that is clear and crisp when it comes to games / movies.

However, I would one-day like to upgrade my current DAC? It's a "I'm Fulla Schiit". Though I only use it for my headphones. However, for my speakers and perhaps also my headphones. Is there an upgrade I can do to make the sound better? Perhaps in the future? That can do both the speakers and the headphones. & would make a very noticeable sound difference if anything. I dont mind if the DAC is around 200-300$ or so. Just something I been thinking of upgrading.
You can pay really stupid money for a DAC.
Those that have will tell you otherwise, but most people here will tell you that differences between speakers and headphones will always be way more noticeable than those between DACs
Even though most of the money for your motherboard probably paid for its video capability, I still reckon its audio DAC is going to be well up to feeding your Edifiers.
Be happy and content (for now ;)).

Reactions: Lriya

Lriya

Feb 6, 2021
Visit site
You can pay really stupid money for a DAC.
Those that have will tell you otherwise, but most people here will tell you that differences between speakers and headphones will always be way more noticeable than those between DACs
Even though most of the money for your motherboard probably paid for its video capability, I still reckon its audio DAC is going to be well up to feeding your Edifiers.
Be happy and content (for now ;)).
Whatcha mean (For now?) xp. As in, until I hear the sound from the speakers? or if I were to upgrade to a DAC or something? xD.

Anyways, thanks for all the help. I'm sure i'll not notice any difference and be happy with what sound I get from the speakers. But one day i'd like to upgrade to a DAC or something that will make the sound more better. & I assume, anything around 200-300$ isn't going too change much? Kinda don't wanna spend stupid amount of money lol. But I guess once I get to that point where I do wanna upgrade my Fulla Shiit, i'll look around.

Gray

Whatcha mean (For now?) xp. As in, until I hear the sound from the speakers? or if I were to upgrade to a DAC or something? xD.

Anyways, thanks for all the help. I'm sure i'll not notice any difference and be happy with what sound I get from the speakers. But one day i'd like to upgrade to a DAC or something that will make the sound more better. & I assume, anything around 200-300$ isn't going too change much? Kinda don't wanna spend stupid amount of money lol. But I guess once I get to that point where I do wanna upgrade my Fulla Shiit, i'll look around.
:)Being content is the skill very few of us have mastered.....there's always something 'better'.

Lriya

Feb 6, 2021
Visit site
:)Being content is the skill very few of us have mastered.....there's always something 'better'.
Yeah, i understand that. So you think it's best to just stick to what I have? using the motherboard as the DAC? Cause, I would like to upgrade though in the future to something that will support both speaker/headphones and that would give out clearer sounds. Unless, you're saying with my motherboard DAC and the speakers, it'll give out as good as it'll get for someone who doesn't regularly is into audio?

Sorry, this'll be my last reply. xD. Mainly, what im asking is if I "Should" look into getting a DAC for 200-300$ if it does improve the sound. Because it'd be nice to just have one just to have one and for the future etc. xp But if I wont notice anything as a newbie to this then I wont waste the money.

Gray

....Unless, you're saying with my motherboard DAC and the speakers, it'll give out as good as it'll get for someone who doesn't regularly is into audio?
That's exactly what I'm saying.
Those speakers that you've bought are fantastic value.....what you're actually getting for a very reasonable price.
You've probably heard about the law of diminishing returns.
It's something that really applies to DACs.
After reaching a certain level of quality, you can chuck loads of money at 'better' stuff......and achieve very little (if any) audible benefit. Some buyers have been very disappointed - when their DAC purchase hasn't matched all the hype they've read in reviews.
And, needless to say, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.
Enjoy your stuff (y)

Reactions: Lriya

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts