Quiet speakers

ADeWo

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Hello - recently bought a Wharfedale Linton Mk2 amp rated at 120w and pair of B&O Beovox S22 speakes rated at 30 watts each. They both use 2pin din speaker connections so thought they would match ok - however when playing music the speakers sound very quiet and quite trebly. The sound is clear and their doesnt appear to be an issue with the speakers, and when playing through the headphone out the soud is very good with plenty of volume so don't think its the amp - am wondering if the speakers dont match amp?

So far I have only played music through the aux socket from my ipod or mac so wondering if it needs a digital converter - but as i mentioned earlier still sounds great through headphones and my housemate doesnt seem to have similar problem with his vintage amp/speakers.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatfully received! sorry, bit of an electronics/hifi novice!

Thanks

ADeWo said:
Hello - recently bought a Wharfedale Linton Mk2 amp rated at 120w and pair of B&O Beovox S22 speakes rated at 30 watts each. They both use 2pin din speaker connections so thought they would match ok - however when playing music the speakers sound very quiet and quite trebly. The sound is clear and their doesnt appear to be an issue with the speakers, and when playing through the headphone out the soud is very good with plenty of volume so don't think its the amp - am wondering if the speakers dont match amp?

So far I have only played music through the aux socket from my ipod or mac so wondering if it needs a digital converter - but as i mentioned earlier still sounds great through headphones and my housemate doesnt seem to have similar problem with his vintage amp/speakers.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatfully received! sorry, bit of an electronics/hifi novice!

Thanks

You may get more replies if you 're-post this in the main section of the forum. This is the turntable and l.p. sub forum.

Al is right, this gets fewer viewings than the main HiFi section. And it's not about turntables. Welcome, anyway!

Briefly, there is no way the amp was ever 120watts, though that might be its mains consumption. Think nearer 20. But in any case, do the B&O speakers actually work? I'm thinking maybe the bass units blew?

What you report is not a matching issue - there's a fault somewhere. The headphone stage may bypass the power amp section, so that may not be working properly either.

nopiano said:
Al is right, this gets fewer viewings than the main HiFi section. And it's not about turntables. Welcome, anyway!

Briefly, there is no way the amp was ever 120watts, though that might be its mains consumption. Think nearer 20. But in any case, do the B&O speakers actually work? I'm thinking maybe the bass units blew?

What you report is not a matching issue - there's a fault somewhere. The headphone stage may bypass the power amp section, so that may not be working properly either.

Perhaps I was a bit abrupt, and yes, welcome to the forum.

Nopiano is correct in that there could be plenty of problem areas here and you need to get that amp checked out. It's quite old and no, it's not 120 wpc.

You might start buy borrowing, if possible, a known working pair of speakers and trying those with your amp. If you can try to borrow a CD player and trying that out as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts