Quick Question on speaker stands and needed plate size for KEF Q300; recommendations welcome!!!

Hi all- I just got a pair of KEF Q300's and running a Marantz PM6005. I LOVE it so far but as I'm new to the Hi-Fi game I have a question on speakers stands. When I see the top plate size on a stand, how big does it need to be for the KEF Q300's? As in, the KEF's are 355 x 210 x 302 mm (14.0 x 8.3 x 11.9 in.). What size top plate do I need? Do they need to be at least 8.3 x 11.9 inches or is smaller ok? On that note, any recommended picks? I liked the mosseco 6 but are they too small?? HELP ME! I'd prefer something that wasn't super brutalist and had 4 seperate columns...would prefer something more clean, ideally with some wood incorporated.

Patrick

http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/p/moseco-6-speaker-stands-pair?pp=24

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Patrick Gerbracht said:
Hi all- I just got a pair of KEF Q300's and running a Marantz PM6005. I LOVE it so far but as I'm new to the Hi-Fi game I have a question on speakers stands. When I see the top plate size on a stand, how big does it need to be for the KEF Q300's? As in, the KEF's are 355 x 210 x 302 mm (14.0 x 8.3 x 11.9 in.). What size top plate do I need? Do they need to be at least 8.3 x 11.9 inches or is smaller ok? On that note, any recommended picks? I liked the mosseco 6 but are they too small?? HELP ME! I'd prefer something that wasn't super brutalist and had 4 seperate columns...would prefer something more clean, ideally with some wood incorporated.

Patrick

Smaller is ok, mine are about 2/3 of the base of the speaker. Stick them on with blutac or blacktac. I'd look at Custom Design but they are a bit more money. Height is a consideration, get the height so when in listening position your ears are about the same height as the tweeters.

BigH said:
Patrick Gerbracht said:

Patrick

Smaller is ok, mine are about 2/3 of the base of the speaker. Stick them on with blutac or blacktac. I'd look at Custom Design but they are a bit more money. Height is a consideration, get the height so when in listening position your ears are about the same height as the tweeters.

Quite agree, and don't forget whitetac. :)

The Brighton the stand is more important than the top-plate size, as BigH says.

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm definitely going to measure my ear height when sitting in the room to match it up with the tweeter. So basically, any top plate that is at least roughly 2/3rd's the size is fair game? Do you guys like the atacamas? What's the difference between whitetac and blutac? Also, what do you think works best for filling the stands? Just plain sand? Any other picks? For custom design, I went to their website and they have over 30 stands. I know there is metal vs. wood and a difference with height..but beyond that I don't know how to pick...do I do it just based on looks??

I just did the calc and even with the top plate the Atacama's look too small (56% of area of KEF Q300 speaker base). I also was recommended to the below one..any thoughts ont he Pangea Audio DS300 versus any specific Custom Design's you guys like?

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGDS300

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts