quick poll

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

chebby:
the record spot:Neither. Others do the same, just as well, for less. Pass.

Can you tell us what other one box systems give you amp + CD + FM (& DAB) tuner + DAC + wireless streaming of similar calibre for less than the naimuniti?

This is not a 'challenge'. I would really be interested in such a box.

You know Chebby, I couldn't tell you if such a box exists, but I know I can compromise on the one-box option and give you a variety of options that'll deliver as good or more than the Naim potentially.

Harman-Kardon HK990 amp - 2.2 capability, onboard high end DAC (as per that found on the Cambridge 840C and further up the line on some of the Teac Esoteric range CDPs, none too shabby in other words), so, you have the amp, the DAC and multimedia capability accounted for.

Thereafter you have CD, radio and wireless capability. Me? I'd ditch DAB at the drop of a hat. It's a poor relation, but functional. Give me internet radio anyday, in doing so, opt for a decent internet radio, or go via computer, then you're not limited by the limitations of the Naim offering.

Alternatively, go for the likes of the Aura Note which offers radio, no DAB, amp, CD/SACD and a unique design. M-Audio offers the Transit for £50-60 which is a good and arguably better DAC than the Cyp at £42 (incidentally, are Cyp related to Cyrus? Awfully similar logos there I thought!), alternatively, there are plenty of stops up the ladder, but the usual suspects for less than £250 would do a good job. Wireless? Take your pick. The Aura Note is £1500, so you can still fit the bill for the £2k of the Uniti.

If one box is your bag, that's fine, if space is an issue. If the "what am I getting for my money" question is running around and space isn't the issue, or the desire to reduce boxes, then a computer, and a good amp with onboard DAC will deliver the same, more and for less.

Interesting query though, got me thinking a bit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts