QUICK! Arcam a65 versus Nait5i

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What do we think? If I can turn a profit from this switch (sell the nait for more than I buy the arcam for) is it a good switch??

I like Arcam's sound a lot.

A

Anonymous

I've heard the A65 and it was quite nice. Very smooth amp with jazz...I personally thought it lacked muscle, though.

A

Anonymous

Keep the Naim 100%. I like Arcam, but the A65 isn't anything special.

John Duncan

I took it to mean that he likes "The Arcam Sound", not necessarily the A65. Arcam does good amps, but from my experience the A65 wasn't one of their best efforts. I would certainly keep the Naim.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="raypalmer"]Okay, what about the A70??[/quote]

emotion-40.gif
Nop

A

Anonymous

Hey Ray...if Arcam is your goal, I'd save up for an Arcam FMJ A28. Although, it's rated at 75wpc (more than the Naim), it's still got that laid back, smooth Arcam sound (and more control than the A65).

A

Anonymous

Well my Hifi store said he'd take exchange on the Nait so I'm seeing what I can get. I've borrowed a Jolida JD502b, and I'm stunned, I've never in-homed anything tube before and it is amazing. I may have to go over to the dark side boys. It's got less detail to be sure, but makes full use of my speakers generating (surprisingly) more and better bass than the naim. Coupled with the more emotional experience and brilliant warmth I'm falling in love.

A

Anonymous

Good on ya, Ray! I love the warmth of tubes...haven't heard any Jolida amps, though. Keep us updated! As for the Naim, I'm going to try and hear it at a local dealer first. If you still have it available, we'll talk.

Good luck!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="raypalmer"]Well my Hifi store said he'd take exchange on the Nait so I'm seeing what I can get. I've borrowed a Jolida JD502b, and I'm stunned, I've never in-homed anything tube before and it is amazing. I may have to go over to the dark side boys. It's got less detail to be sure, but makes full use of my speakers generating (surprisingly) more and better bass than the naim. Coupled with the more emotional experience and brilliant warmth I'm falling in love.[/quote]

The warm side. What I would say is that the same rules apply when auditioning ie. what initially sounds impressive, in this case the warmth/emotion as compared to stark solid state can become clogging and annoying in the long run. Made a couple of mistakes myself there. Does'nt have to be that way though, good ones are just as detailed as a good transistor amp but more natural and dynamic.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]The warm side. What I would say is that the same rules apply when auditioning ie. what initially sounds impressive, in this case the warmth/emotion as compared to stark solid state can become clogging and annoying in the long run. Made a couple of mistakes myself there. Does'nt have to be that way though, good ones are just as detailed as a good transistor amp but more natural and dynamic.[/quote]Good advice drummer. I'm going to have to put on some albums I know back to front and ensure I have enough detail. I have the speakers on the 8ohm posts at the moment, but my Totems are Rated in 4ohm terms, what kind of difference can I expect to hear when I try them on 4 ohm?

A

Anonymous

Funny, I auditioned the new Nait 5i and a valve amp on the same day some weeks ago. It was a Unison Research S2, 10W, single-ended. What a machine! The shop only wanted £400 for it too. Compared to the Unison Research Unico P (50W), transistor power/valve pre, it seemed to have more bass with less definition. I think this has to be down to damping factors. I was looking for the catch at the time so didn't buy, but I'm def going to look at valve amps when I upgrade my Rotel. Not sure how much one would like being turned on and off all the time along with the TV in the lounge. Esoteric, surely, everyday, doubtful...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="igglebert"]Funny, I auditioned the new Nait 5i and a valve amp on the same day some weeks ago. It was a Unison Research S2, 10W, single-ended. What a machine! The shop only wanted £400 for it too. Compared to the Unison Research Unico P (50W), transistor power/valve pre, it seemed to have more bass with less definition. I think this has to be down to damping factors. I was looking for the catch at the time so didn't buy, but I'm def going to look at valve amps when I upgrade my Rotel. Not sure how much one would like being turned on and off all the time along with the TV in the lounge. Esoteric, surely, everyday, doubtful...[/quote]
You turn your amp off?

Never for me. Apart from holidays away...
[/quote]
To save electricity, yeah, but mine isn't class D ;-) A valve amp on all the time would be a good heating system. We could market it as Economy Valve...

A

Anonymous

I was under the impression that a valve amp is best left switched off. This one seems to warm up after about 3 minutes just idling.

A

Anonymous

Well I went ahead and traded in the Nait (sorry brock) and ordered a JD302b with a pre-out. It'll be a week or two before it comes up from Maryland. A big part of the decision was the upgradability. I like that if I change speakers or source and dislike the sound I can change the dynamics with different tubes. Anyway, as soon as I get it I'll post pics of the ugly ****** with its tubes glowing.

A

Anonymous

No worries! I'm glad you got it sorted.
emotion-21.gif

I'm hoping to make progress myself...I have tomorrow off (going to see the Raptors try get themselves back in their series), so maybe I'll get to a couple local spots (one with Naim, Rega & Neat...the other with an Exposure amp, but none of the speakers on my short list...will be able to hear the Spendors, though).

A

Anonymous

[quote user="brock_boogie"]
No worries! I'm glad you got it sorted.
emotion-21.gif

I'm hoping to make progress myself...I have tomorrow off (going to see the Raptors try get themselves back in their series), so maybe I'll get to a couple local spots (one with Naim, Rega & Neat...the other with an Exposure amp, but none of the speakers on my short list...will be able to hear the Spendors, though).
[/quote]Wish I lived in Toronto... nothing but a big waterfall and bad wine down here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts