Question for What Hi Fi team re speakers

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Posted this in the Magazine sub-forum, but think it got overlooked.

A question on the April issue : In your mid-price speaker test, you say that you get the best results with the B&W 685s if you place them a bit in front of a wall, as otherwise they can sound a tad boomy. Why so? I've got these speakers and have them about 7 inches off a wall and can't really re-locate without significant works, so was wondering why it's an issue.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Also have the 685s since about a week ago and have similar space problems - have them about 10" from the wall and any further out I'd have to build a flyover! Did notice that when I put them nearer to the wall the bass did get a bit 'boomy' but where they are they sound like they should. They shouldn't boom - as they're front ported - but they do.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
that's my view - to say a front porting speaker needs to be far from a rear wall seems as arbitrary as saying it needs to be in a room painted orange. WHFS&V please explain!?!

A

Anonymous

My understanding is that bass frequencies are omni-directional, ie radiate out 360 degrees, whereas higher frequencies are more directional. Hence even if the speakers are front-ported, they should still ideally be placed away from a back wall or side wall, but not as far away as rear-ported speakers.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Andrew - if that is the case, it might be a good feature to have in the magazine. Each month have a "How stuff works" in noddy terms. You could do speakers (I recall someone posted a link a few months back to how speakers work, but it was long and a bit techy), amplifiers, dvd, blu-ray, mains & conditioning (one for Trevor to ghostwrite??!). Etc.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
There are a few factors that cause bass-lift near a wall, omni-directionality of low frequencies is one, another is radiated sound from the cabinet itself, put your ear to the back of a speaker when it's playing and you'll hear quite a lot of noise! Even more so with rear ported speakers, quite a lot of the mid can make its way down the port tube - "muddying" the sound.

Cheaper speakers usually suffer most due to limited construction methods = more noise from cabinet, in anycase it's not just the low frequencies which are affected by this, if you put a speaker flush to a wall you'll get an approximate 6dB lift in the bass AND lose "air" and spaciousness from the high frequencies, flattening the soundstage considerably.

T

the record spot

Big Aura:that's my view - to say a front porting speaker needs to be far from a rear wall seems as arbitrary as saying it needs to be in a room painted orange. WHFS&V please explain!?!

I suppose it doesn't help me adding you'll find red, or even a nice rich purple will help things along nicely. Orange only works in sunny locations. Or if you listen to lots of reggae.

T

the record spot

There's your problem then. This could be another thread entirely, but anything other than Dulux ruins my separation...

Seriously, placement's a killer depending on the room - we've got a bay window and that sometimes has an effect depending on the speaker. My previous Missions could boom a little (albeit front ported) whilst the current 752s being slightly leaner can sit further apart, and slightly closer to the rear wall. Bigger soundstage, and less fussy over positioning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts