Question for owners of Monitor Audio RX1

Midisurf

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
monitoraudiorx1black.jpg

Are your drivers rims wonky? Mine were protruding out at the bottom making them angled up out the cabinet.

Can you push them into the cabinet then they move back out? Or don't they move/solid when you push them gently.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine fit well not wonky, I think you could push them a little as they should be seated on a gasket and are not bolted in ultra tight. If you are not happy ask the shop to change them or talk to Monitor Audio.

Midisurf

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Iv'e straightened them up by releasing the bolt then tightening it holding the driver rim straight/push in with my other hand. MA took 2 weeks last time I e-mailed them. I dunno if theyre too tight but I can't push the rims in so theyre flush with the cabinet.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Rather than emailing them, have you tried posting on their facebook wall ? I have a couple of times, albeit not on technical subjects, and got a response very quickly. Though they may ask you to email them

deanhartley

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

The driver rim should protrude evenly all the way around the circumference. Sounds like you RX1's may have taken a shock during transport, or the driver bolt has worked it's way loose for some reason. Was it like that out of the box or has it moved during use?

What you have done is correct by losening the driver bolt from the back, re-aligining the driver (it should self align if you have the speaker on it's back). Otherwise '***' the bolt losely and check the alignment. It won't pull in properly until the bolt is tightened. Do not over tighten the bolt as it could result in damage, but you will know because that will cause serious exersion using an allen key. So, just hand tight will be fine. If the driver is still not lined up, then as one of the other forum member suggests, take it back to the dealer and let them have a look.

We use the bolt through driver technique now on most of our ranges and it's proven to be very reliable. Anyway, hope you can solve it easily and quickly yourself

Regards,

Midisurf

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Dean that's nice for a MA technician to answer.

I tried laying them on their back but it's hard to tighten the bolt. I tried anyways and what happened was I could push the bottom of the rim in but not the top. So the only way I can seem to secure it is to loosen the bolt and then push the whole rim in with my fingers stretched over it then tighten the bolt. Now they protrude evenly and you can't push them in at all.

Is this okay? Are they meant to have some flexiblilty? I can push on them and they don't move. They seem fine to me but would give me peace of mind if they're not meant to be pushed into the cabinet. It's like they fit into a slot when you push them in and tighten the bolt.

I can't remember if they was like this when I bought them I didn't notice until after I changed the bolt tension the first time like it says on the leaflet I got.

I tighten them until you can't see a gap between the bolt and cabinet then turn to 3 oclock from 12.

deanhartley

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Ahh, now I get what has happened. It sounds like your speakers are fine now.

There is a location pip on the driver chassis that fits into a hole in the cabinet. This is to locate it and stop it from rotating when the driver bolt is tightened. It sounds like when you attempted to tighten the bolt, you may have losened it slightly and the pip has jumped out of the hole/driver chassis rotated slightly. So the pip was in fact not in the hole and making the chassis bend outwards creating an uneven area.

Anyway, seems like all it OK now.

:)

Midisurf

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it's a placebo but my speakers don't seem to sound as good as they used to or I'm just use to them now.

Can someone please just double check if the driver part highlighed in the picutre can be pushed in? Even slightly or are they rock solid with no movement?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I doubt very much if there should be any play at all between speaker chassis & cabinet. Could just be that as well as getting used to them, they have bedded in (although that's not normally perceived as a bad thing!). Might be time to have another play with positioning after you've checked all connections are nice & tight.

A

Anonymous

Just checked mine and the woofers are solidi I.e no movment,so if yours have movment then i guess theres something wrong there, i would either have a word with the shop where you bought them from or ring monitor audio.otherwise youll always think there's something wrong with them and it will bug you then youll never enjoy them.

Ive only had mine a couple of weeks (secondhand) in rosenut colour not only do they look good but they continue to impress me sound wise, with music aswell as movies.

Midisurf

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
80s boy said:
Just checked mine and the woofers are solidi I.e no movment,so if yours have movment then i guess theres something wrong there, i would either have a word with the shop where you bought them from or ring monitor audio.otherwise youll always think there's something wrong with them and it will bug you then youll never enjoy them.

Ive only had mine a couple of weeks (secondhand) in rosenut colour not only do they look good but they continue to impress me sound wise, with music aswell as movies.

Thank you! I was sure they could be pushed in a little when I first bought them but you've just put my mind at rest. I had changed the bolt tension at the back acording to a little note that came with them. Yep these speakers do look sexy I got them in black oak but I always think about the other colours once I've bought things -_-

I think it is just getting used to them, I need to hook up my old speakers to my amp just for a quick re-fresh.

Midisurf

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I found out the problem. I had put up a piece of mdf on the wall with albums clipped on behind the right speaker (above). Just took it off and it sounds much better. Didn't think that could affect the sound so much. Now there is nothing on the walls behind the speakers. I'm happy again :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts