Question for media player geeks!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm reading and reading about lots of different 1080p media players. Many have both hdmi and component connectivity. Does anyone know (for sure) whether any of them can be connected with both hdmi and component simultaneously? I'm not talking about playing on two screens at the same time. I want to connect one feed (hdmi) to my AV receiver and assign an audio input and then another feed (component) to the receiver and assign a different audio input (well none as the audio would be fed to my DAC and then on to my stereo amp).

Out of interest, not that I would buy one, can you do this with Apple TV?

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I haven't used an apple Tv media player but from using an xbox 360 , western digital media player you have to select the output to either HDMI or Component so i only assume its the same with apple Tv

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
landzw:I haven't used an apple Tv media player but from using an xbox 360 , western digital media player you have to select the output to either HDMI or Component so i only assume its the same with apple Tv

So on the WD player, you can connect both and then go into the settings to change? That would not be ideal but I could put up with it. I would play music 70% of the time, so before watching a movie, it would not be that much of a problem to change the settings.

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Media players allow you to switch HDMI audio on and off this would allow you to watch movies through your Sony AV amp and then switch the HDMI audio off and feed the SP/DIF output to you DAC for music, but still having media players video interface through the AV amp saving a component cable cost.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
lduck:Media players allow you to switch HDMI audio on and off this would allow you to watch movies through your Sony AV amp and then switch the HDMI audio off and feed the SP/DIF output to you DAC for music, but still having media players video interface through the AV amp saving a component cable cost.

great, thanks for that.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes i was going to say that , the optical can be used all the time but would have to keep switching between the video outputs when trying it the other way

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
lduck:Media players allow you to switch HDMI audio on and off this would allow you to watch movies through your Sony AV amp and then switch the HDMI audio off and feed the SP/DIF output to you DAC for music, but still having media players video interface through the AV amp saving a component cable cost.

I just read through the WD Live 1080p manual and the audio options seem to be stereo or digital?

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I can't check that at the moment as i don't have mine but when messing around with it , it did play sound through the HDMI even when the Digital was selected but i can't say about the analogue connections

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
landzw:I can't check that at the moment as i don't have mine but when messing around with it , it did play sound through the HDMI even when the Digital was selected but i can't say about the analogue connections

Ok, cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts