Quality of sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a basic Marantz amplifier and a basic Marantz CD player. Marantz SR-47 amplifier (with a Marantz CD-38 compact disc player) My main interest is classical music. I do not know much about Hi Fi & have discovered this forum recently. I want to understand more about improving sound quality before I venture into upgrading. / My question at the moment is: Which in general plays a more important part in quality : the CD player, or the amplifier ? (at the moment omiting the issue of speakers). Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The CD player will have the most fundamental effect, as all the amplifier can do is boost the signal coming from the player. If detail is lost, or coloration introduced, at this stage of the game, then the amplifier can't put that right.

So in your system I'd be looking to improve the CD player first, the Marantz CD6002 being the most obvious choice, but with the realisation that the SR-47 will also hold back the performance of the system as a whole. If you only want music in stereo, I'd be looking at a PM6002 as the obvious partner, or the likes of the Rotel RA-04.

A

Anonymous

The Rotel RA-04 is fantastic for classical music, just the matching cd player rcd-06 isn't!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the explanation & advice.
I shall read up about these products.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I know Andrew is the hifi guru but I have to disagree on this one (politely of course)

I build most of my system from speakers then amp and lastly cd player. I can see where is the logic of "rubbish in, rubbish out" come from and ten years ago I would agree with you totally but now a day bad cd players are hard to come by (I think that's why so many people was shocked with the 1 star rated the saxon :)

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
welcome to the world of hi-fi,confusing or what,but the fun of it is,is finding out which make works with other makes to get that balanced sound we are all after.the general rule of thumb is source,amp speakers stick with that and you won't go far wrong.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]I know Andrew is the hifi guru but I have to disagree on this one (politely of course)

I build most of my system from speakers then amp and lastly cd player. I can see where is the logic of "rubbish in, rubbish out" come from and ten years ago I would agree with you totally but now a day bad cd players are hard to come by (I think that's why so many people was shocked with the 1 star rated the saxon :)[/quote]

So you're saying all CD players are good? Or that a bad CD player can be 'put right' by a good amp?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

So you're saying all CD players are good? Or that a bad CD player can be 'put
right' by a good amp?
[/quote]

Certainly not the latter Mr. E.

Many years ago most cd players sounded bright, lifeless and harsh! 25 years on and with the good quality DAC chipset can be had for $5! Cd player has come a long way since.

Even the budget end sound very reasonable and the £1000 up midrange market full with great contenders. The different in sound (for the price bracket) is more of a personal taste than "this one is miles better than that one" which was happening in the 90's. I have recently demo a few players around £1500 - £2000 mark and they all has great resolution, massive sound stage and superb build qaulity.....I would be happy with any of them.

TRENDING THREADS