Quadral Speakers (updated)

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Any body know anything about Quadral speakers, particularly Phonologues?
I believe they're German but can't seem to find any English reviews or references to them.

Oldskool1976

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
As a subscriber to Hi-fi Choice I've seen more then a few reviews of Quadral, mostly good!

The Chromium won a standmount shootout a while back, the floorstandier of the same range didn't do too well though.

Would also add, alot of Quadral's range also looks quite striking imo.

But of course, if poss try and get a demo.

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Friend of mine used to own a pair of quadral floorstanders. Don't know type but they where the same price range as my Dali zensor 7 back then and I think I preferred the quadrals (in his room, no side by side, etc.) To bad all their stuff is so glossy...

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
They are excellent speakers, heard them a few times (different models), would have had a set of these for cinema / Hi Fi use but went down the Dali route.

Typical german engineering.

I’ve heard them a few times at shows, around four or five years ago. I recall the earlier Elac models were quite popular then too. Both used ribbon type tweeters and I was impressed by their clarity, lack of grain and smoothness. Was taken by the painted finish options too.

Like some other EU brands, the distribution seems a bit up and down here in the U.K. but maybe it’s just the dealers I know that don’t stock them.

Definitely worth auditioning if you have a dependable dealer.

insider9

I love unusual gear. Some of the biggest surprises for me were those bargain buys. The great thing is the most you can lose is £51 and it's not like you won't get any money back. Looks like a great bargain.

Gaz37 said:
Any body know anything about Quadral speakers, particularly Phonologues? I believe they're German but can't seem to find any English reviews or references to them.

Not heard those but because of limit dealerships in the UK Quadral are often overlooked. Their Chromium 8 floorstanders are the nuts.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
My Quadral Rondo Phonologues arrived yesterday & I'm a bit undecided.

When I first listened I was impressed at their clarity & "presence" they are far more detailed than my B&Ws particularly mids & highs.

After more listening they became what is often called tiresome due to their brightness however this was cured with some rejigging of their positioning.

The downside is that despite their impressive clarity & realism the sound does appear to coming from the speakers not filling the room. Maybe more experimentation with position is needed?

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
It could be a number of things positioning would be the first thing I'd try, particular attention to giving them space.

Being front ported I'm assuming space to the rear isn't a factor?
They are currently only 20cm from the side walls so maybe increasing that may help?

insider9

It will definitely help and don't forget back wall also. Bass is omni directional so where the port is doesn't matter as much.

Especially imaging can suffer with speakers push right against the wall. As a test try them in free space. They may not get you the bass performance without wall reinforcement but should show what's available when it comes to mids, highs, imaging etc.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Sadly I'm restricted as to how far from the side wall I can move them, it's going to 30cm max before they end up in front of the patio doors which beloved will not loterate

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
Sadly I'm restricted as to how far from the side wall I can move them, it's going to 30cm max before they end up in front of the patio doors which beloved will not loterate

If distance is limited, you can also toe them in really sharply, to diminish the first reflections off your sidewalls. Make them cross a foot in front of your head. Might help to control the brightness too.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Whilst moving the speakers I noticed something loose moving inside the cabinets.
I removed the driver & found the bass port tubes were floating around inside. I was sceptical if a little plastic tube mattered but glued them back in place anyway.

Yes they did matter, the bass, which obviously is never going to be seismic from a small speaker, is deeper & less "puffy" sounding.
A worthwhile 5 mins & use of some glue

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts