QUAD speakers

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
11L2's are currently going for £250 from a number of suppliers.

I was considering the 9L2's as the small size is important but now the 11's are the same price I'm really wanting to know how much more I'd get from them.? Have a smallish room, 3.5m x 3.5m and speakers will have to sit on a deep solid shelf.

Musically, I'm more interested in the mids up and prefer bass punchy rather than deep.

And while we are at it? In the sub £300 range of amps can anyone advise which make of amps is best suited for Quad speakers.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The only time I heard the 11L sound good (not too forward) was in a musical fidelity rig. (I believe it was X-ray v3 and X-150)

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for swift replies. What amp have you got for your 12's?

Have been trawling through the forums and am struggling with the Quads as it is clear you really do have to get the rest of the system spot on. I really am keen on the 9's for size and frustratingly the only copy of WHF I am missing from the last 18 months is their group test from April. GRRR. Can anyone give me a brief rundown of the outcome? And suggest an amp to get the best out of them? So many questions, such a sore head!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I am using my 12l2s with an Arcam Solo Movie - only got them yesterday so just quickly set up to let them run in playing to themselves today with an ipod on shuffle - i will be setting them up to use the rear channels of the amp to biamp them at the weekend for hopefully the best possible sound and have some speaker cable to change as just running single runs. I tempted to have a play at the weekend as my lounge system is a MF Xray CDP and DAC and a Roksan Kandy Amp and Power Amp and see how they sing with that! But first impression are really good and i got a good price on them aswell.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
You would be better off with the 11L2. The Quad speakers are a bit lean and strident, so the best bet would be an Arcam amplifier. I can imagine how it would work well any Musical Fidelity gear as suggested above. I would rather have any of the Epos though for the same amount of money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts