Quad S-2 & Quad Vena

Theslop1

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

I have been searching for a review of the new Quad S-2 but i can't seem to find one anywhere.

I'm looking to buy both the amp and speaker. I assume that these would pair well given that they are produced by the same company?

Has anyone has a listen to these and if so please could you share?

Thanks,

Tom

Theslop1

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
After a lot of research I have narrowed it down to a Marantz PM6005 & Dali Zensor 3's or the Quad Vena & Quad S-2. I'd be interested to know if the Quad set up would be a massive improvement over the Marantz or Dali given the price difference.

Cheers,

Tom

Theslop1 said:
Hi All,

I have been searching for a review of the new Quad S-2 but i can't seem to find one anywhere.

I'm looking to buy both the amp and speaker. I assume that these would pair well given that they are produced by the same company?

Has anyone has a listen to these and if so please could you share?

Thanks,

Tom

Good choice. I have only heard the Vena with the S1. The larger S2 would give a bit more in the bass department I guess.

There is a very frequent poster on here that uses a Vena (Chebby), perhaps he will comment later.

To my mind that set up would be great just factor in some decent speaker stands.

Note: Hifi World has reviewed the speakers and given them five globes, there only negative being the usual 'needs careful positioning', also analogue seduction appears to be selling them for £600, a lot cheaper than anyone else.

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm considering the same combo, so an curious as well whether anyone has heard this. I've read the review in Hifi world, and also the glowing 5-star review of the S-1 in Hifi Choice, which you may have read as well (dec 2015 and 2015 yearbook). Hifi Choice says that the usual 'politeness' of the Quads has given way to more expressiveness and immediacy. The S-series seems to be received quite well. I also noticed a positive review of the S-5 in a German magazine.

For what it's worth: I already have the Quad Vena, presently combined intermittently with Dali Zensor Pico's and Cambridge Audio Minx 21 + sub. Of course the Vena can drive larger and better speakers, which is why I'm looking at the S-2 (besides possibly Harbeths). At the dealer I heard the Vena set up with Quad Z-2's and with Guru Juniors. The Guru Juniors sounded nice, to me they resembled the Dali Zensor series. However, the Z-2 was clearly in a different class, being larger and having more bass, but also for being more transparent, clear, refined. As far as I understand, the Z-2 uses a similar or the same ribbon tweeter but is a bass reflex speaker. It is also larger and twice as expensive as the Quad S-2.

With respect to your interest in the Marantz/Dali combo: I've never heard a Marantz so can't help you there. I personally prefer the Vena solely on looks. The Dali's appear to be excellent speakers according to the numerous reviews. The Zensor Pico I find already fine-sounding with the Vena, even in the bass region, while they are really tiny and low price, so I imagine the larger Zensors should be very satisfying.

My interest in the Quad S-2 is driven partly by looks, partly by precisely their reputation for 'politeness'. My impression (also from hearing the Z-2) is that the Quad speakers try to provide a very satisfying listening experience for classic, vocal, and 'softer' rock music, particularly if you don't care for playing at extremely loud levels. Which is exactly what is my style of listening. This is not to say that the combo wouldn't work for hard, thumping bass. I just didn't listen to that kind of music on the Vena/Z-2. But I could imagine that there are other combinations that would be more suitable to such styles.

Before the Vena I had a cheap Denon Class D amp, which, although initially sounding impressively detailed, quickly gave me listening fatigue. The Quad Vena is much more comfortable while to my ears not less detailed.

Hope these personal impressions may help you. I agree, though, that you really should audition them. I probably won't be able to do so for at least a few months.

Theslop1

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
for the detailed post. I am planning to get the system early March so hopefully I can arrange an audition in the next couple of weeks.

I would like to have some speakers with good bass for social occasions which is why I was originaly looking at the Dali Zensor 3's due to the reviews. I'm hoping that the Quad s-2 can match the Dali's in terms of bass but will also be much better in other areas too, vocals particulary.

My previous system was bought around 6 years ago for home cinema use and not a lot of thought went in to it. Yamaha Av Receiver, Acoustic Energy Centre, Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 fronts and Tannoy Sub & satellites. Now i've decided that music is more important, I'm sure the quad vena & s-2 will be a huge improvement on that.

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I listened to the S4 and S5 models of the new Quad S-series today at a shop in the Netherlands. Pretty damn amazing. They were way better than comparable speakers from Wharfedale and B&W. I also compared them with Q Acoustics, Roksan, and KEF speakers, and the Quads are still better, IMO. Really an accurate, complete sound. The other speakers sounded like they were missing certain frequencies, or that you were listening to them through a tube (some resonance or emphasis of the wrong frequences). I'm seriously considering a purchase of an S-series Quad, even though there's not many in-depth reviews online yet.

Jan De Bont said:
I listened to the S4 and S5 models of the new Quad S-series today at a shop in the Netherlands. Pretty damn amazing. They were way better than comparable speakers from Wharfedale and B&W. I also compared them with Q Acoustics, Roksan, and KEF speakers, and the Quads are still better, IMO. Really an accurate, complete sound. The other speakers sounded like they were missing certain frequencies, or that you were listening to them through a tube (some resonance or emphasis of the wrong frequences). I'm seriously considering a purchase of an S-series Quad, even though there's not many in-depth reviews online yet.

You are waiting for in-depth reviews even when you have auditioned them ??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts