Quad Elite First Test: WHF Clarification requested

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
In this item (Nov 2010 issue, p.12) you state that stacking and/or using Quad's proprietary cables with the new Elite pre-power combo causes a "notable dip in terms of detail and transparency".

Since it will be sometime in 2011 before I get round to auditioning these, could you clarify a little in the interim?

First, is it stacking, Quadlinking, or both you think causes the dip?

Secondly, is this unique to the Elites in your experience?

I no longer have any reviews of the 77/99 series from WHF or anyone else — Quad only update about once a decade, after all — but I don't recall this defect being suggested in either, and my HiFi dealer wouldn't have missed a chance to sell me an extra cable if he'd been able to A/B such a difference at the time.

It also seems highly unlikely that a company like Quad would have kept on with Quadlink for 20 years, three generations of kit, and several changes of management who could have dropped it to save costs, if the basic stereo interconnects they were providing anyway were better...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not in the office, or indeed the country, at the moment, so don't have access to a copy of the test. Have flagged this up to the review team, who should answer tomorrow.

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

Both the stacking and the Quadlink degrade the Elite's performance. It isn't a massive amount, but given a transparent enough system we're sure you would notice it. The 99 series suffers in the same way, as I suspect would the 77 series. Have a listen and see what you think.

Quadlink encourages people to buy complete Quad systems. It all looks neat with stacking components and the minimal of cabling. Don't forget the cables carry control signals too. Some people would sacrifice the last few percentage points of sound quality for that.

A

Anonymous

I own Quad 99 pre and amp (as well as the 909) and agree with the reviewer with respect to use of the Quadlink. (I've never tried them unstacked so I cannot comment on that issue.)

As I'm in the U.S. and it takes awhile to get the latest issues, could someone kindly tell me what the "bottom line" comparison was between the Elite pre/amp with the 99 pre/amp (assuming such comparison was made).

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I haven't been able to locate the current issue here in the U.S.

Could someone kindly tell me if they compared the Eilte amp/pre to the 99 series and if so, what the bottom line conclusion was?

Thanks much.

A

Anonymous

I still haven't been able to locate the current issue here in the U.S., so I am asking the same question as before.

Thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS