Quad 33/303 - Computer file connection - advice please.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Gretings,

I would like to play wav. files from a laptop through my (unmodified) quad 33/303. Would appreciate some advice on the best method to:

[*]1. Maintain best quality sound and[*]2. Not spend too much money or break anything!

Quad has phono inputs and laptop has USB and maybe optical outputs.

Many thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
An original Quad 33 should have a tape input that can be set to max input voltages of 10V, 4V or 1V (H, M, L respectively).

I would use the tape input set to M (4v) maximum input voltage to allow for typical max output voltages from the kind of DAC you will need.

For example, the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II outputs up to 2.2V.

Beresford DACS have an option of a variable output so you could 'trim' the output to match the max input voltage of the Quad 33 (2V for 'Radio' and 10V/4V/1V for the tape input).

The HRT Music Streamer II is is also worth considering if you want 24bit/96khz from USB only.

Maybe Quad themselves could also answer this query (they should still support old products.)

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

bernasmeister

May 1, 2009
Visit site
I use a Beresford DAC (CAIMAN) connected via its variable outputs to a Quad 303. This way I am bypassing the Quad33 pre-amp (but unable to connect a TT or any other analogue source).

This way I am using the DAC to connect the PC (via USB) but also a squeezebox touch (via optical) and a DVD payer (via coax) to the 303, making the DAC a "digital pre-amp".

You will have to get a phono-to-DIN cable to connect the Beresford to the 303.

I am quite happy with this set-up and the level of music detail that you can extract is incredible.

I also suggest you replace the capacitors in your 303 for new similar ones - for sound quality sake!

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
An external dac is an easy way to connect your pc to the hifi. I've used a dacmagic for that for 2 years, and it's a nice piece of kit, as long as you don't use it with 1000+€/piece electronics, because then it becomes a bottleneck.

You don't happen to have a cd player with a digital input?

SteveR750

kevinJ said:
An external dac is an easy way to connect your pc to the hifi. I've used a dacmagic for that for 2 years, and it's a nice piece of kit, as long as you don't use it with 1000+€/piece electronics, because then it becomes a bottleneck.

You don't happen to have a cd player with a digital input?

I think many people might disagree. You might have to spend four figures to get a significant upgrade sonically, and would probably in ost cases get a bigger improvement per £ by upgrading amp or speakers.

Keirik

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm also interested in why you think a dacmagic would become a bottleneck?

I can't see any technical reason why that would be the case, and I can't say I've noticed it being anything other than excellent sonically, in fact it's making me feel quite despondent about my analogue setup which can only be an expensive problem!

Or maybe my gear is too low spec :)

SteveR750

I am convinced that my current set up is much more satisfying to listen to (if not to play around with) than my analogue Linn LP12 / Ittok based system. I've mentioned it before, but the 24/96k version of Fleetwood Macs Rumours is simply staggering.

Keirik

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I know what you mean, I have at times been staggered at the output of my iPad through my DACMagic,

Alison Krauss and union station, and seasick Steve in particular

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts