Quad 12L2 speakers.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've picked up a pair of these speakers for a bargain, round about half the RRP of £500.

Would you think my Marantz PM6002 amp would be good enough to get the full potential out of these speakers?

The reason I ask is that some time ago I was speaking to a Hi-Fi journalist who had a theory that to drive speakers properly you should be looking to spend a lot more on the amp than the speakers. eg. for £300 speakers you should be looking at around the £500 mark for the amp, plus the appropriate cables etc.

Any thoughts?

Messiah

DIB:
I was speaking to a Hi-Fi journalist who had a theory

Just a theory....hmmm...

Depends how you look at it I suppose. Maybe with those speakers you are getting the best out of your amp?

What if you buy a £500 - £600 amp. You may start to ask yourself if you are getting the best out of the amp with your current speakers and the vicious circle starts.
emotion-2.gif

I guess it's down to the sound and your budget. If when you add the speakers you enjoy the sound then great. That is what matters.

Otherwise your are on the slippery slope to always striving to reach that target of hifi nirvana that is always the next upgrade away...

(Still, that's part of the fun!)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I browse this and similar forums and the world of hi-fi never ceases to amaze me with how many different opinions, views, theories you find.

I read a 80+ page (not all of them I may add) topic about speaker cables on another forum and was still none the wiser. Eventually I plumped for some Van Damme Bi-Wire at a cost of about £2.40 per metre and I think its brilliant. The guy in the hi-fi shop thought that a good buy for me would be Linn cable at about £15 per mtr. To me the Van Damme sounded just as good at a fraction of the price.

At the end of the day its what sounds good to you and nothing else.

Having said that, the best piece of equipment I've bought as a result of reading forums is my Beresford DAC. Absolutely brilliant piece of kit and worth every penny.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Always buy the most expensive speakers that you can afford. They'll sound good in front of amps costing a third of the price, and better when the amp is upgraded.

The converse does not apply: an expensive amp going into cheap speakers sounds more or less the same as a cheap amp going into cheap speakers.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS