QED Cable, Have I dont this like a n00b? (Pic Inside)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Er ok I might get laughed at for this but what the hey... I've done that wrong haven't I... the wires have gone into the banana plugs without any copper exposed because the underneath feels like it doesn't have any at all :S It's QED Silver Anniversary bi-wire...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You mean you've stripped right back to the yellow, red, blue and black internal insulation? On most cables you'd now cut this away to reveal the cable within, but on very few cables - such as some QEDs - the conductor is actually between the outer cover and the inner coloured core

You need to expose this - there must be metal-to-metal contact between the cable and plug to conduct electricity.

After stripping back, twist the red and yellow internal metal conductors together and reinsert into the red plug, and the blue and black conductors into the black plug.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

You mean you've stripped right back to the yellow, red, blue and black internal insulation? On most cables you'd now cut this away to reveal the cable within, but on very few cables - such as some QEDs - the conductor is actually between the outer cover and the inner coloured core

You need to expose this - there must be metal-to-metal contact between the cable and plug to conduct electricity.

After
stripping back, twist the red and yellow internal metal conductors together and reinsert into the red plug, and the blue and black conductors into the black plug.

Thanks, will do.

Probably ranks among the blonder moments in my life!

A

Anonymous

Ok this is really strange... there is NO metal inside the coloured strands.. none at all... you can tell by touching it.. if you try to strip any of it off the wire just goes off with it

A

Anonymous

APatel8:Ok this is really strange... there is NO metal inside the coloured strands.. none at all... you can tell by touching it.. if you try to strip any of it off the wire just goes off with it

Assuming you're using a Stanley knife or similar you need to cut all around the coloured casing (about 1/2 inch from the end) - cut very carefully, and only cut into the plastic - do not cut into the wire.

Then pull off the 1/2" coloured casing with a pair of pliers (or your teeth!). If the wire inside comes off with it then you have cut too far into the casing. And try again.

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

I get what you're saying..

Here lies the confusion though... after removing the white coating there was some silver around the coloured wires which was also removed - should this have stayed on and then gone into the banana plugs?

I cut round the coloured wire but there is no material of any kind in there..

A

Anonymous

Hi,

The silver, is the metal of the cable, you need this to be in contact in the bananas

(I also have this cable - the silver in the name gives it away
emotion-4.gif
)

The plastic inside, is the core, this is different colours so you know which one it is, so you can put the right bananas on it (maybe you should put some electric tape round the outside as well, to remind you, once the bananas are on)

Can understand the confusion though.

Good luck getting it all sorted.

Hope this helped.

Cheers, Dan.

A

Anonymous

danmo:
Hi,

The silver, is the metal of the cable, you need this to be in contact in the bananas

(I also have this cable - the silver in the name gives it away
emotion-4.gif
)

The plastic inside, is the core, this is different colours so you know which one it is, so you can put the right bananas on it (maybe you should put some electric tape round the outside as well, to remind you, once the bananas are on)

Can understand the confusion though.

Good luck getting it all sorted.

Hope this helped.

Cheers, Dan.

Thanks Dan - I would have been spending days looking for some silver in the coloured cables if I wasn't told lol. Just got confused as usually the metal bit is within the coloured wires :)

A

Anonymous

Hi,

No probs, glad to help.

I took some pics of one of mine so you can see. Although they are different bananas.

side_clearer_small.jpg

side_small.jpg

back_small.jpg

Hope this helps, mostly not to strip too much off the cable (in terms of length)

Cheers, Dan.

A

Anonymous

Thanks mate, that helps.. only going to take a bit off to expose the silver. Can't believe I connected it all with the coloured cabling and was wondering why I was getting no sound ha ha

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts